Wallace Woodstock Nursery Neillsville WI

I've purchased a number of apple trees from Woodstock Nursery 5 or 6 years ago. I would guess that I planted about 15 fruit trees from them. I planted them on my property in Rusk County Wisconsin and I bought them before I knew anything about rootstocks. I believe the majority of the rootstocks were described as semi-dwarf, but there were also were a couple described as standard. These trees were bare root and they received no supplemental watering and they soil there is a sandy loam/loamy sand with OM around 2.5%. The trees are doing pretty well and I believe the survival rate was somewhere around 90%. A few trees produced apples for the first time for me last year and they seem to be doing pretty well until bears tore off the branches with apples. I have had a higher survival rate on standard trees from St. Lawrence Nursery in NY, but I think generally standard trees do better with minimal care than semi-dwarf trees.

I can't say anything bad about the trees I purchased from them, but for my situation with a relatively sandy soil and no watering, I tend to prefer standard sized trees from St. Lawrence Nursery. I'm glad I purchased the semi-dwarf style trees from Woodstock though so I can get some apples sooner while the larger standard trees mature more slowly.

Good looking trees. What rootstock are they on?

I talked to them last year and most of their semi-dwarf is on M7 from Bailey's. They said if you special order they can get B118.

thats where i got mine. i wont be able to get pics of them for a bit, but the pear trees were really nice. the freedom apples were really nice, the zestar were just whips, the sweet 16 was pretty nice, but the liberty kinda bugged me. they were grafted onto a fork in the rootstock, and have some pretty goofy angles. the other kinds of apples all had a good central leader formation, but the liberty were all about 3 feet up and then the tree forked into 3 branches at strange angles.

I just received my two pear and a whitney and chestnut crab. I was impressed, trees looked good. The whitney was about 7ft tall really really nice for $26. I will order some next year for sure.

Yes, I have ordered from Wallace........and was pleased. I got Whitney, Chestnut Crab, Dolgo. They sent me good looking stock.....when they said they would. It was wrapped well and arrived in fine shape. That was 4 years ago and the trees are doing well today. So, I would recommend them based on my experience.

I've purchased a number of apple trees from Woodstock Nursery 5 or 6 years ago. I would guess that I planted about 15 fruit trees from them. I planted them on my property in Rusk County Wisconsin and I bought them before I knew anything about rootstocks. I believe the majority of the rootstocks were described as semi-dwarf, but there were also were a couple described as standard. These trees were bare root and they received no supplemental watering and they soil there is a sandy loam/loamy sand with OM around 2.5%. The trees are doing pretty well and I believe the survival rate was somewhere around 90%. A few trees produced apples for the first time for me last year and they seem to be doing pretty well until bears tore off the branches with apples. I have had a higher survival rate on standard trees from St. Lawrence Nursery in NY, but I think generally standard trees do better with minimal care than semi-dwarf trees.

I can't say anything bad about the trees I purchased from them, but for my situation with a relatively sandy soil and no watering, I tend to prefer standard sized trees from St. Lawrence Nursery. I'm glad I purchased the semi-dwarf style trees from Woodstock though so I can get some apples sooner while the larger standard trees mature more slowly.

This is what I did too: I bought Semi Dwarf "wildlife package" from Woodstock Nursery. I didn't know about rootstock and such....and they provided me with a mix of trees that were to be hardy for my zone. All but one tree has survived after planting several years ago.....but I have few apples yet. My trees were all bare root and supposed to be hardy for zone 3a. I believe I paid about $20 each...but may have gotten some discount for quantity. I think I bought 10++ trees from them. (I'm looking at my old ordering information now....and it appears like I got Harelson, Honeycrisp, Honeygold, Keepsake, Lodi, and a few other varieties. - but I marked up my order form too much :oops: to know for certain).

I wish I would have known about rootstock.....as I don't now know what I bought. :rolleyes:

OK....reading more old papers I saved......so here was the "deal" in 2008 from Woodstock. 13 or more trees which they select for your zone, on semi dwarf rootstock, for $20 each. I paid $260 for 13 trees.....in 2008. (minimum of 1/2" caliper (mine were bigger) 4-5' tall) Early order also got a 10% discount.....IIRC.

Tom-Have you tried planting apples using the crazy ed method of plastic, compost, and two bags of black dirt. root gel.

Or have you planted any crab apples in the areas that have had clover for a number of years?

those apples are slow to grow in the north country.