Vetch ID

Rally1148

5 year old buck +
Hey all,

Along with planting all of my natives and thinking about trimming up my new grafts (feel free to look at my other thread apple experts ;)) I took a picture of the vetch that I've got coming up in my field.

Any ideas?IMG_20150607_124026_085.jpg

Looks like the hairy vetch I've planted the last couple years.

Looks like the hairy vetch I've planted the last couple years.

That's what I was thinking, but I'm absolutely no good at ID'ing much past what family these things are. It's not bad, other than it is hard to get rid of when trying to get a clean field.

Agree its hairy vetch...and agree its hard to get rid of. Best to terminate before it sets seed or you'll have more to get rid of (unless you want it that is)

Too late for that! A year or two ago we let the field go fallow, and it was what came up. I'm sure it's already in the seed bank.

I'm fine with it once I get everything established though. Mowing in my perennial plot (next year) should be able to take care of it every year, but in the native prairie I just put in it'll be a bit of a struggle.

That's how I'm feeling about it as long as it's not taking over. I've seen deer browse it and I know turkeys love the seeds. It'll fix some nitrogen and be alright for pollinators. I'll just have my gly on hand next year, which I'll probably use a makeshift "wiper" to use since it'll be in a planted area.

That's how I'm feeling about it as long as it's not taking over. I've seen deer browse it and I know turkeys love the seeds. It'll fix some nitrogen and be alright for pollinators. I'll just have my gly on hand next year, which I'll probably use a makeshift "wiper" to use since it'll be in a planted area.
I planted it with a clover mix last fall to get the N, then terminate it when planting the brassica mix coming up in July.

I planted it with a clover mix last fall to get the N, then terminate it when planting the brassica mix coming up in July.

I wonder if it'll stick around for you. I honestly have no problem with it when I'm putting in rye and annuals, but I feel like it could shade out some other stuff if I let it go.