Vernal Alfalfa or Chicory

Victor Van Meter

5 year old buck +
What would be better to spread into an already existing white/red clover plot that has some thin areas? The plot is 2+/- acres. Thanks.

VV

I think alfalfa would be pretty tough to establish without a clean slate. Chicory seems more weed like and takes off pretty easy for me

I'd frost seed more clover in the thin spots and throw in some chicory too.

Chicory would be a better companion for clover(they feed each other). Alfalfa needs many of the same things as clover and chicory provides that.

What would be better to spread into an already existing white/red clover plot that has some thin areas? The plot is 2+/- acres. Thanks.

VV
What's coming up in the thin areas now?

What's coming up in the thin areas now?
Broom sedge and other weeds.

Sounds like chicory is a better option. Thanks.

VV

I think clover and alfalfa will out compete each other ... one will dominate at the expense of the other. I have pulled alfalfa roots and not much else will draw that much.

Clover with chicory will give you balance and chicory will survive in tough low moisture summer conditions.

Also alfalfa is fussier to grow than clover or chicory. I know clover responds well and seems to grow better after it has been abused(light disking makes it take off).

Broom sedge and other weeds.

Sounds like chicory is a better option. Thanks.

VV
I like chicory. I like clover. Best thing I've done for my clover is attack it with as much other stuff as possible, but annuals, so when the annuals are done, the clover can fill in those spots for the rest of the season. I've also got sedge. Still doing battle with it.