Velvet beans

Bowman

5 year old buck +
Anyone have any experience with these?

They sound sexy !

Do they make claims of smoother and creamier farts?

Probably not herbicide resistant. Not that weed free beans are all that important to deer.
Never heard of them

Bowman, sounds like you need to do a test plot and report back.

Might have to. I was hoping that somebody had some experience with it. Seems to be more of a Southern crop. I have tried Sunn Hemp a couple times with mixed reviews. Powerhouse was a failure. Last year in a different planting with sorghum and buckwheat, even though it was a cool summer, I did some growth. Velvet beans supposedly grow long vines and longer roots. Sound s good for building OM. We shall see.

Found this on one site selling seeds, "Velvet Beans grow well on any well-drained land as far north as Tennessee and North Carolina." Sounds like best for zone 7 and up.
http://petcherseeds.com/products/velvet-beans

Yes sir. If I get some typical heat this summer, I would think that I can get some to grow even with a shorter growing season. Seems to have some good properties. Might have to try some as an experiment. Even if I get half of the growth, I would take it.
I know that there are some knowledgeable Southern guys on this site. Hope that they chime in.

I know that there are some knowledgeable Southern guys on this site. Hope that they chime in.
At least as relates to the "Southern" part of that equation I qualify... "knowledgable" admittedly not quite as much! :emoji_wink: Bit of reading I did on them paints them as absolutely being intolerant of frost, so if you want to try them guess your biggest challenge will be in picking a date they're fully safe... something I appreciate is way easier to do in zone 8 than zone 4.

I have to wait for heat to plant buckwheat. I really like that plant. Seems to be the same for Sunn Hemp. I would consider at least cereal rye and clover to follow the beans. Maybe not the clover, then plant something to follow the next year to use the scavenged nitrogen. I can plant Arvika peas early here. I do not know enough about how velvet beans grow and if brassicas could be overseeded to use the nitrogen. Mighty be too thick and block to much sun for brassicas before it dies from the frost. Might have to try something to find out.