Value of Red Pines?

Any chance you could get the fire department to use it as a training burn?

How old are these trees?
For deer habitat u will want to cut more than a forester recommends. If these trees have only been thinned once or twice, the canopy will close up In 10 years, under most plans.
Foresters are programmed for forestry, not deer habitat. If u want to swing to a more habitat driven thinning, take more trees to keep the canopy open. Also, if you want deer habitat, have them leave pockets alone, so u can clear cut those pockets, leaving the trees tangled and messy.
I've got a stand of red pines that were planted back in the 50's. Nobody wants them and they are at the end of their life. 120 feet tall and no branches for 30 feet up. I though about cutting them down but they are so close together and so tall that I don't think it will turn out well. Will anything regen in 50 years of red pine needles!
^^^^cur and leave a tangled mess. It's just as good as a pocket of hinged trees. I'm gonna do this to a 2 acre stand of 40 year old reds this winter, and a 3 acre stand of 40 year spruce.
It's leaving some $ on the table, but worth it habitat wise. Just like a hinge trees....