UTV Opinions/Advice Solicited

Might have to scrap that last idea----I bet the deer you shoot are probably too big to load on the back without lots of counter weight on the front otherwise the weight of the deer would flip your machine:emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing::emoji_thinking:

Nice machine by the way!

Might have to scrap that last idea----I bet the deer you shoot are probably too big to load on the back without lots of counter weight on the front otherwise the weight of the deer would flip your machine:emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing::emoji_thinking:
Deer hear are more like medium size dogs. It's just that my back is too screwed up to lift one. :emoji_smile:

I'm in the same boat with the back stuff. Smarter not harder is the only way I can get anything done. Picking up 50lb bags of dogfood is pushing it. Can't wait to get old.

I used it for the first time at the farm. I did notice lots of rattling and some squeaking when the RPMs go up a bit when driving. I did not push it as it is new. I never went over 10 mph, but I noticed this when I was going up hills.

Here are the pics I promised:

b25de007-9adb-4d9d-82f6-059ab9d34d55.jpg

ea6aa8e3-37d6-49a9-a4e6-91020d851d9c.jpg

I did wire a connector to the battery and ran it out next to the passenger seat so I can plug it into a trickle charger when no tin use.

I'm now trying to figure out how to pick up deer. I have a GreatDay loader on my ATV that I like, but if the ATV gets fixed, I'll want to keep it on there. They have also gone up considerably in price since I bought mine and you can't even get them with the supply chain issues these days. So, my brain is working on an idea that I can fabricate myself.... Stay tuned, but If folks have alternate suggestions they have used to load deer I'd like to hear them.

Thanks,

Jack
Check this out for loading deer.

After checking out the product in the video, it looks well thought out and put together. But, when I look at the details, I don't think I can justify the $500 price tag. The winch they use can be had for $100 at Harbor Freight (less if they are having a sale). The LED light they sell as a replacement for $12. The connectors on the battery cables run another $10. The rest is just the metal bracket. I should be able to but something similar together for under $200 total. Since I just got a welder last year, the bracket should be another good starter/learning project for me.

Am I missing anything?

Thanks,

Jack

After checking out the product in the video, it looks well thought out and put together. But, when I look at the details, I don't think I can justify the $500 price tag. The winch they use can be had for $100 at Harbor Freight (less if they are having a sale). The LED light they sell as a replacement for $12. The connectors on the battery cables run another $10. The rest is just the metal bracket. I should be able to but something similar together for under $200 total. Since I just got a welder last year, the bracket should be another good starter/learning project for me.

Am I missing anything?

Thanks,

Jack
The only thing I would consider is the second aux battery. I pre-ordered a bunch of adds for my Pioneer. Almost at the top of the list is the second battery. Apparently, it is bad for the machine if the primary battery dips below a certain level. Maybe keeping the engine running at all times will make this moot.. With all of my added shit, I'm not taking a chance. I'm only a YouTube expert, so this advice is not first hand experience.

The only thing I would consider is the second aux battery. I pre-ordered a bunch of adds for my Pioneer. Almost at the top of the list is the second battery. Apparently, it is bad for the machine if the primary battery dips below a certain level. Maybe keeping the engine running at all times will make this moot.. With all of my added shit, I'm not taking a chance. I'm only a YouTube expert, so this advice is not first hand experience.

Yes, I have a lot of experience with Lead Acid batteries. It is fine to drain them but you can't leave them in that state. They sulfonate and it shortens their life significantly. I always keep the engine running when I operate a winch. I don't have any accessories like a heater that require a lot of amperage except a winch. I've watched a lot of videos and a lot of guys put in a second battery for accessories and isolate the two so they can use accessories without the ATV running and avoid draining the starting battery and getting stranded. I considered this. The factory battery is a bit undersized. I considered a second battery, but the way I use the ATV, I doubt I'll need one. I did install a trickle charger on the battery. In the winter, I plug it in if I won't be using it for more than a week. I do this with all my vehicles, tractors, and such. So, here is my general plan for batteries.

First, I'll run it till the factory battery dies and needs to be replaced. I'll then replace it with an LI battery. For the same size, it should have more capacity because of the difference in energy density between lead acid and Lithium ion. If I do decided that I need a second battery, I'll install another LI under the hood and simply hook them in parallel with no isolation. The reason I can get away with this is because of how I use the UTV. I don't trail ride or ride for fun. I uses it to hunt and work at the farm. It probably won't get more than a mile or two on it in a day. If I would every get stranded, it is less than a mile walk back to camp.

Thanks,

Jack

Well, Harbor Freight sent out a 20% off coupon so I picked up the same Badland ZXR 2500 winch they use for a bed winch. I took it to the farm yesterday. Most of my time was spent dealing with damage and fallen trees from the storm we had last week. I found a few minutes to check out the winch and how it might be rigged to the Pioneer 700. I have about 1" to work with. If I plan to use telescoping tube, I'll need to workout removing the weld bead from inside the outer tube. I probably won't begin work on this till things warm up, but now that I bought the winch, I'm committed to a DIY project for this.

Am I missing anything?

Thanks,

Jack

This might give more detail on how to build the bracket yourself

This might give more detail on how to build the bracket yourself

Yes, already checked that out and even ordered the light from them. It gave me a feel for how they did it. When I looked at my bed and took some measurements, I think I'll do it slightly differently but with the same concept. I plan to use 1" x .120 tubing for for the receiver that attached to the bed. I'll attach it like they do. I'll need to remove the internal weld bead from the last 4". I'll then use a piece of 3/4" x .120 for the tail piece. I'll weld that to a plate and bolt the winch to a plate. I'll use a piece of thinner scrap sheet metal to hold the plug assembly and light. It should be a fun project.

I think their receiver is narrower and 14 gauge which, I'm sure is fine for deer in the bed. I'm thinking that using 1/8" tubular would allow me to make additional receivers so I could use the winch for other purposes where more stress would be put on the bracket.

Thanks,

Jack

Yes, already checked that out and even ordered the light from them. It gave me a feel for how they did it. When I looked at my bed and took some measurements, I think I'll do it slightly differently but with the same concept. I plan to use 1" x .120 tubing for for the receiver that attached to the bed. I'll attach it like they do. I'll need to remove the internal weld bead from the last 4". I'll then use a piece of 3/4" x .120 for the tail piece. I'll weld that to a plate and bolt the winch to a plate. I'll use a piece of thinner scrap sheet metal to hold the plug assembly and light. It should be a fun project.

I think their receiver is narrower and 14 gauge which, I'm sure is fine for deer in the bed. I'm thinking that using 1/8" tubular would allow me to make additional receivers so I could use the winch for other purposes where more stress would be put on the bracket.

Thanks,

Jack
For the internal weld bead I think a die grinder with a bit extension and grinding or sanding wheel will work.

For the internal weld bead I think a die grinder with a bit extension and grinding or sanding wheel will work.
I hadn't worked that part out yet. Good suggestion.

yoderjac - Congrats on the purchase! Hear good things about the Honda's. I've been running Polaris at the farm since 2011. For our new place, I just ordered a JD Gator 590M. Delivery is at least 90 days out.

yoderjac - Congrats on the purchase! Hear good things about the Honda's. I've been running Polaris at the farm since 2011. For our new place, I just ordered a JD Gator 590M. Delivery is at least 90 days out.
I looked really hard at the new Polaris electric with the LI batteries. I just could not justify the cost. It is coming out in the large frame this year but is impossible to find. With my ATV having significant repeated issues lately, I could not wait for that technology to work its way down to a lower cost small framed UTV. I felt I had to by this year, and reliability and longevity were at the top of my list. That led me to the Pioneer. So far, I'm pretty happy, but it is very early in my ownership.

I just found a pretty cool tool for this:

It leverages your general idea.

I just found a pretty cool tool for this:

It leverages your general idea.
That jig that he came up with looks perfect. Takes it from country fix to craftsman level results.

That jig that he came up with looks perfect. Takes it from country fix to craftsman level results.
Yes, unless I can find some 1" DOM, I'll probably buy one.

Well, it is so cool that I just broke down and ordered one!