UTV Opinions/Advice Solicited

If its fouling a plug that fast there is something seriously wrong. See if will pop shooting some starter fluid while turning over. Nothing worse than equipment unreliable.
The Kawasaki was a reliable tool for me for many years. A few years ago, it started backfiring and became a little hard to start, but it would always eventually start an run. The backfire was coming from the carbs. You could watch it taking off the air filter. It got worse and worse and finally would not start. I took it into the shop and the rebuilt the carb. When I got it back it ran better than ever, but soon started light backfiring from the carbs. Again the backfiring got worse and it became very hard to start. I took it back in and they worked on it again. When I got it back again last spring, it ran well for a while. After a month or two it started light backfiring again. It ran most of the summer but got worse. You guessed it, right before the season, it would not start again and went in for the third time.

They could not find any problem with it other than the fouled plugs. They said they changed them and it started right up. I'm guessing they must have thought the fouling was due to the mixture being too rich because they said they leaned it out a bit.

I've only had it for a couple months now and it is dead again. I know something is causing the plugs to foul but I have no idea what. I knew the day would come when reliability would be an issue and I planned for it. Thus this thread. In mid-Feb, I should have the Honda 700 Deluxe and long term reliability was one of my requirements.

Having said that, I'd like to keep the Kawasaki running even if it is not reliable. As long as I have one for the farm to hunt and work, reliability is less of an issue for the Kawasaki. I'm going to try changing the plugs since that is what the shop did last time. If that works, I'll see how long it runs with the new plugs. I'll probably pick up a can of starter fluid as well and give that a shot first.

Thanks,

Jack

The Kawasaki was a reliable tool for me for many years. A few years ago, it started backfiring and became a little hard to start, but it would always eventually start an run. The backfire was coming from the carbs. You could watch it taking off the air filter. It got worse and worse and finally would not start. I took it into the shop and the rebuilt the carb. When I got it back it ran better than ever, but soon started light backfiring from the carbs. Again the backfiring got worse and it became very hard to start. I took it back in and they worked on it again. When I got it back again last spring, it ran well for a while. After a month or two it started light backfiring again. It ran most of the summer but got worse. You guessed it, right before the season, it would not start again and went in for the third time.

They could not find any problem with it other than the fouled plugs. They said they changed them and it started right up. I'm guessing they must have thought the fouling was due to the mixture being too rich because they said they leaned it out a bit.

I've only had it for a couple months now and it is dead again. I know something is causing the plugs to foul but I have no idea what. I knew the day would come when reliability would be an issue and I planned for it. Thus this thread. In mid-Feb, I should have the Honda 700 Deluxe and long term reliability was one of my requirements.

Having said that, I'd like to keep the Kawasaki running even if it is not reliable. As long as I have one for the farm to hunt and work, reliability is less of an issue for the Kawasaki. I'm going to try changing the plugs since that is what the shop did last time. If that works, I'll see how long it runs with the new plugs. I'll probably pick up a can of starter fluid as well and give that a shot first.

Thanks,

Jack
Does your Kawasaki sit for periods of time? That sounds like a stuck carb float to me. It is stuck open and dumping to much fuel in making it flood out and foul plugs. Too rich. I would suggest trying to run it whenever you can, use fresh non ethanol gas if you can get it, and use seafoam in your gas.

A little googling shows lots of carb problems with your year of Prairie. Dual carbs can be such a pain! It appears that the 2002's have weak carb springs as a possibility or intake leaks, etc. Lots of possible trouble areas when you get into it.
Here's one link

Does your Kawasaki sit for periods of time? That sounds like a stuck carb float to me. It is stuck open and dumping to much fuel in making it flood out and foul plugs. Too rich. I would suggest trying to run it whenever you can, use fresh non ethanol gas if you can get it, and use seafoam in your gas.
What is a long period of time? During most of the season I had been using it every week for 2 or 3 days and then it would sit for 2 or 3 days. This last time, it was about 2 weeks between uses. I only use regular non-e gas in it. When I use it during the season, I'll drive it about 1/4 to 1/2 mile and the hunt for 2 or 3 hours and drive it back. I generally don't go over 10 mph or so with it, maybe 15 on occasion.

A little googling shows lots of carb problems with your year of Prairie. Dual carbs can be such a pain! It appears that the 2002's have weak carb springs as a possibility or intake leaks, etc. Lots of possible trouble areas when you get into it.
Here's one link
Thanks. I know nothing about carbs or engines. I'm relying on the mechanic I took it to. If I can get it running I'll take it back in after the season and see what they can find.

My machines can sit a long time between uses. Rather than ethanol free regular, I have used premium gas with great results. Even though it says “may contain up to 10% ethanol”, I’ve speculated it has little or no ethanol to meet the octane rating. What ever the case, fuel has never caused my mules or 4-wheelers to fail.

Batteries were another issue, until I started plugging them into a 1 or 1.5 amp charger/maintainer. Overlooked that one of them was a charger only, and it cooked the battery while I was away, so only charger/maintainers from now on.

My machines can sit a long time between uses. Rather than ethanol free regular, I have used premium gas with great results. Even though it says “may contain up to 10% ethanol”, I’ve speculated it has little or no ethanol to meet the octane rating. What ever the case, fuel has never caused my mules or 4-wheelers to fail.

Batteries were another issue, until I started plugging them into a 1 or 1.5 amp charger/maintainer. Overlooked that one of them was a charger only, and it cooked the battery while I was away, so only charger/maintainers from now on.

Yes, I wired a power plug to my battery and a smart charger. When I won't be using the ATV for more than a week, I plug it into the charger. Before I started doing this, I went through batteries much faster.

Has anyone adjusted the valves on it?

I would absolutely run non-ethanol gas in any engine that might sit for a while. Seems weird, but I only run premium-non ethanol fuel in my small engines such as lawn mowers, saws, tillers and atv's. You may need to do a little research to determine the local gas station that actually has non-ethanol fuel, but for me it has greatly reduced the carb problems on my small equipment.

Has anyone adjusted the valves on it?
I don't know. When I took it in I didn't ask for them to rebuild the carb or anything specific. I don't know enough about engines for that. I just told them the symptoms and asked them to fix it. The mechanic told me they rebuilt the carb. I just went back and looked for the receipt. It has Carb Kits, Air Filter, Plugs, Maxima PRem4, Filter and Service. The total was $530 and valve adjustment could be under Service. I don't know for sure, but I presume they have check that. They charged me nothing for the second and third return visits, so they are working with me.

THanks,

Jack

I would absolutely run non-ethanol gas in any engine that might sit for a while. Seems weird, but I only run premium-non ethanol fuel in my small engines such as lawn mowers, saws, tillers and atv's. You may need to do a little research to determine the local gas station that actually has non-ethanol fuel, but for me it has greatly reduced the carb problems on my small equipment.

I have not used premium but I use regular gas in all my small engine stuff. I'm fortunate that there is a lake nearby and they sell regular gas for the outboard engines. It is not inexpensive, but it has been worth it for me.

Thanks,

Jack

Each of us find what works for us, but for small engines I have a practice that is more important than the gasoline choice. Never let a small engine sit with fuel in the carb. When I’m done with the equipment for the day, I do not use the stop switch or kill button to stop the engine. I turn the fuel valve off and let the engine run until all the fuel in the lines and carburetor is depleted and the engine stops from fuel depletion. Using this method, I’ve NEVER had to work on a carburetor. And the engines will restart within 1-3 pulls after turning the fuel valve back on and giving a little choke.

Each of us find what works for us, but for small engines I have a practice that is more important than the gasoline choice. Never let a small engine sit with fuel in the carb. When I’m done with the equipment for the day, I do not use the stop switch or kill button to stop the engine. I turn the fuel valve off and let the engine run until all the fuel in the lines and carburetor is depleted and the engine stops from fuel depletion. Using this method, I’ve NEVER had to work on a carburetor. And the engines will restart within 1-3 pulls after turning the fuel valve back on and giving a little choke.

Your right. I've used stihl chainsaws for many years. I could leave gas in them for a year. They would sputter at first but always eventually start. A while back my saw got stolen. I ended up buying a brand new higher end Stihl. I constantly had problems starting it. They rebuilt the carb several times. When I talked to the shop mechanic, he told me that they had to redesign the carbs to meet the new emission standards and they suck. He said that even with non-e gas, you can't leave gas in them at all. He told me after each use, I had to empty the tank and then run the saw until it died to get rid of all the gas. It worked, but was too much of a PITA. I went on ebay and bought an old 028 and it runs just like the old days with regular gas.

Thanks,

Jack

On the downside, I tried starter fluid. I was able to get it to fire, but it would not keep running. I tried to change the plugs, but could not get my hands in there without tearing it down. I think I'll leave that to the mechanic.

On the upside, I just got a call from the dealer. My new 700 Deluxe has come in a month early. They have it in had but still need to assemble it and add the accessories. I should have it in hand sometime in early Jan now!

Thanks,

Jack

Well, I'm getting a little closer. I got an email from the dealer today. They have all the accessories in hand and are installing them. They asked if I wanted to pick it up tomorrow. Unfortunately, it won't be until next week. Last week, I went to start my 2003 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax that I use for towing and it was dead. I was leaving, so I plugged in the charger. I bought the truck used in Jan 2001, so I suspected a bad battery, so when I got home I ordered an ANCEL BA101 battery tester. Neat little device. I can check CCA as well as AH of the battery. You can also start the car and check the charging system with it. So, when I got to the farm today, I pulled the charger and tested the batteries. Both were bad! They were mixed. One was flooded and the other AGM. So, I headed out and bought two Duacell AGM batteries for it.

Now that it is up and running, I'll take it home and use it to pick up the UTV next week! I'll post a pic or two when I get it.

Thanks,

Jack

Seems like it is always something... I decided to drop the truck and trailer off at the mechanic on Sunday night to get them inspected on Monday and then head to pickup the UTV later this week. Well, early Monday morning it started snowing. We had 8"-10" by noon on Monday. The shop was closed on both Monday and Tuesday due to weather. I then get an email from the dealership. They said the roof for the UTV has not yet arrived from honda. I'm sure the weather is not helping that either.

So, it is now looking like I won't be getting it until late this week or the weekend...

So I have decided to get a Honda Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe. I also decided to add a few add-ons and accessories. So here is my dilemma which I'm sure most of you will shake your head about!
What color should I get...red or camo???
It is bugging the crap out of me trying to decide between these 2 colors!

So I have decided to get a Honda Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe. I also decided to add a few add-ons and accessories. So here is my dilemma which I'm sure most of you will shake your head about!

Whatever color is available. The one I put a deposit on is a 700 deluxe. As I was looking ad different dealerships, they told me the way it works right now is this. The dealership orders whatever honda will allocate to them. They know a few months out what they will get. They keep of list of folks interested. When one comes in, they call the first person on the list. No negotiating, you pay full price. If they aren't ready to put a deposit on it, they call the next person on the list. Sales guy told me he rarely has to go passed the first person or two on the list. All of the SXS in the showroom are already sold. Several dealerships in my general area told me the same thing. I started started calling dealerships quite a distance away before I found one with a 700 deluxe. It was camo and I had to pay the added camo price, but I put a deposit on it immediately.

On another note in the saga, I finally got my trailer back and inspected today and just got an email from the dealership saying my hard roof is in and installed, so it is ready for pickup. I'm trying to schedule that now.

Thanks,

Jack

If it is like the other camo sxs I have a hard timing paying the premium of the camo. I just got a white mule pro fxt 1500 for the camo and I can deal. You could probably put a wrap on it for a lot less

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk