tried video on my trail cameras for the first time

Someday isle

5 year old buck +
I set my cameras six feet high and tried video for the first time. I'm going to be doing more of this. I've got a couple bucks starting to grow antlers, a couple does and a coyote on video. I'd show the videos here but it says the file is too large. I'm sure I'll still do regular pics too but I really like the video option.

I have cheap Wildgame innovations cameras and I get lots of pictures of nothing sometimes. I'm sure that's due to slow trigger speed. On the video with the coyote something else triggered the video and the coyote then came running into the video. Before I would have just gotten a blank picture and not known anything was ever there. A while back I was getting most of my pictures with the deer looking at the camera. That's when I raised them to six feet. I haven't had a shot since then with a deer looking at a camera and I'm getting more turkeys than ever. I'm convinced its a factor.

It is amazing what you will miss with just a still photo. A lot can happen in the 30 seconds between photos. Speaking to the raising them up. The last picture at a mineral lick of the biggest buck I got on camera last year was him staring at the camera. No glow and 6' feet up is all I do anymore.

Made the transition to videos from elevated cameras a few years ago after seeing this video... GREAT video on the exact subject that is WELL WORTH the view for those who may be taking photos from cameras placed at waist level.

Can't log onto my cameras right now :emoji_frowning2:

I don't run many videos. But I can set them up to take a pic every second. That tells a lot also.
SI you need a YouTube account to post vids. It's easy, and free.

Definitely agree with you Bill on time lapse being very useful for intel purposes, and in some applications it's my preference.

I have two PlotWatcher units that I use during season to give me time lapse footage over my two primary plots. They're great for showing travel patterns and they do so with deer at distances that normally wouldn't trigger game cams. I still place them high, though... in fact higher than any other cameras I use, typically mounting them to the top of my tree stands so I can get as clear of view of the entire plot area as possible while at the same time minimizing scent concerns since used at the edge of my plots.