Muddy Matrix

5 year old buck +
I received a free Muddy Matrix Cell Camera with my DeerCast renewal, so I thought I would post my "first impressions." This is my 9th year using cell cams, and they have come a long way from the original "two-piece" Moultrie Mobiles on 3G. I purchased the unlimited account for the camera, as I have been pinning for the at a particular location, and the Cuddeback and SpyPoint plans I am using are not unlimited. The unlimited is $10 for pictures/video with audio and on-demand when a year-long contract is purchased, which is about "par for the course."

Easy to set up: 8 AA batteries, an SD card, install the app, scan the QR code and enroll in a plan, turn camera on. All that took 5 minutes, max.
Color: Brownish black color blends in better than any other camera I own.
Pictures: Good quality, and "on-demand" takes about 20-30 seconds to arrive.
App: The app is easy to use. For those who have leases or neighbors who have similar cameras, pictures can be sent to other users in real-time.

Dislikes:
The strap. Other than the color (brown, which is good), it is a cheap plastic buckle that broke when attaching to the tree. Seriously bad.
Quality: Definitely does not have a "this will last 5-10 years" like my Cuddeback J-cameras.

I'll share some updates as I gain experience with this camera.

1698708258547.png

Looks like it takes great pics, does it have the threaded insert in the bottom to use a screw-in mount ?

Looks like it takes great pics, does it have the threaded insert in the bottom to use a screw-in mount ?
Yes, it does. I am going change the mount to that style. I uses those for about 30% of my cameras, and this will be one of them.

Night pictures are just OK. Temp seems to read a little high (it was 28 degrees). The app provides the option of B&W or Color night pictures:

1698757772942.png1698757728680.png

Day 4 Update: Changed to video mode and the pictures and sound are good. Like most cameras, it sends a preview of three shots from the video. The10 second video downloads can be requested and sent at the next scheduled daily sync. (Note: Pictures, video previews without sound and instant pictures are sent in real time. Requested videos are downloaded at the set daily sync time). The $120/year plan includes unlimited pictures, HD pictures and instant downloads, plus 10 videos per month., Additional videos with sound are 25 cents each).

The temp reading seems to have stabilized and generally matches the true temperature. I am also not getting many false readings or pictures—not sure if that is due to placement or the camera. The camera also send a daily “test” picture at the sync time.

I would not put any emphasis on temperature readings. I have several thermometers for various things and they are never consistent with each other for many reasons, primarily because of thermal and fluid dynamics.

I would not put any emphasis on temperature readings. I have several thermometers for various things and they are never consistent with each other for many reasons, primarily because of thermal and fluid dynamics.
I do appreciate cameras that show semi-accurate readings at night….I fully understand the variables during the day are too many to list.

I believe Santa is going to bring a solar pack for this camera, so that will (hopefully) address the battery burn. One week in and the batteries are at 50%. I have them on “instant send” setting which comes with recommendation to use external batteries. So far, so good on this camera. NOTE: The pictures of the field with no deer/critters are test shots or scheduled daily shots. So far, no false triggers from wind or grass.

IMG_0477.png

Last edited:
Matrix Update: I added a solar/lithium battery unit to the camera and look forward to seeing how this helps what has been shorter than anticipated battery life on “instant” picture mode. So far that has been the only downside.

Positives:
* Almost no false pictures: This camera has outperformed most of my other cameras currently in use (CuddebackJ/G series; SpyPoint Link Micro/Link Micro S/Flex/Flex S). It has been rare to get a false picture.
* Great software. The Stealthcam Command software is pretty good, and allows me to share pictures with any email address I chose.

Summary:
I will be adding another Matrix (Christmas gift) running on solar. So far, so good. I like the way the camera blends into the surroundings better than my other units, and the ease of set-up, which is on-par with the SpyPoints, and far better than the Cuddeback.

IMG_0546.jpeg