Tree tags?

ncstewart

5 year old buck +
Wanting to get some tree tags that will last. The ones I used the last time didn't last a year so can some one give me a recommendation on a decent tag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought basic numbered aluminum tags. Can recall where but the numbers are stamped into the metal so they last. The key is attaching them to the tree. I found you can slide them down an 11" UV resistant cable tie and the will catch on the end. I then use a cordless stapler to staple the other end to the tree. This only works on trees that are old enough not to be damaged by the staple. As the tree grows, it grows around the staple and then the cable tie, but it needs to increase quite a bit in diameter before the tag. I think I go them from Ben Meadows but I'm not positive:

27c357f3-d456-4e43-ae6c-f8ff3ca41792.jpg

For seedlings in tubes, I just cable tie them to the stake or T-post for caged seedlings. When the trees are large enough, I attach them to the trees.

Thanks,

Jack

Last edited:
Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wire all my stainless steel tags to my concrete mesh cages. I plan on all of my fruit trees having some kind of cage for life to prevent rubs. Check out my grafting thread for pics of the tags I use.

I use aluminum tags I cut from flashing. I use an engraver to put tree variety, date planted, and rootstock type on each tag. I do as Ed does - wiring the tags onto the concrete mesh cages for the same reason. ^^^^^ I use solid 12 gauge copper wire to attach - no rust or corrosion.

Ed's tags are the premier tag. I tried engraving but couldn't read what I wrote :oops:. So I use pieces of scrap vinyl siding. I've used China markers (grease pencils) with good success and also am trying the new Sharpie fade resistant pens.
tags%20004_zpshnmgwzhy.jpg

I used .019 aluminum sheet stock scraps I had and cut them into 1 1/2'' x 2 1/2'' size tags. I then hand stamped the variety, rootstock, year and nursery I purchased the tree from on each one then drilled a hole on one end and wired tags to tree cages

I guess I'm more of a computer guy. The tags I use and just the unobtrusive 1 up numbered tags you see in the picture in my previous post. The tag number is in my data base with a host of information about the tree.

Thanks,

Jack

You can use aluminum trapping tags and just write on them with a pen. It imprints on them and is permanent.

i cut the top and bottom off of beer cans (i don't drink soda). flatten out the aluminum, and imprint with a nail set used like a pen. punch a hole and zip-tie to the cage. lots of area for variety, date planted, etc.

I think I will be set for awhile... they wont be good for long term however for the grafting beds I'm hoping they will last up to 2 years for tagging rootstocks/grafts
IMG_3775.JPG

3750 Vinyl Loop Plant and Tree Tags 5/8 x 7 inch Red on ebay (still listing more)

Im not sure about rules on linking to a site or mentioning another but at less than 2 cents a tag its a deal if you don't mind the up front cost and large number ( maybe split the order with someone else) 59.99 no shipping costs. They seem more than good enough for what I'm going to do with them. again, not promoting anyone - just that they seem like a deal that someone might be interested in.. dont know the seller at all just that they came well packaged and in just a few days.

I'm just going to cut aluminum flashing or banding for my long term tags and scribe them and punch a hole. The vinyl tags will just wrap the root stock and tree limb grafts (till I transplant or get rid of them).. I learned the hard way, I have almost 40 trees that I planted years ago (my start into apple tree planting; 22 varieties) mapped them on paper stowed in a binder and now i cant find the binder (i can only guess what they are and where they are)... Some had labels - vinyl/plastic but have long since cracked and blown away...

Updated Picture Links

I got a cheap punch set and a few round blanks. I attach variety and year on one side and a number on the other. I catalog various info about each tree on an excel file corresponding to the number, but like having the variety and year on the tree itself. I attach using arbor guard tree lock (the heavy duty, plastic, hook and loop style ties often used for attaching the tree to the stake) along with either a zip tie or key ring.

I attach to the lowest scaffold branch at the trunk with plenty of wiggle room.

It works really well and should outlast me.

Attachments

• Photo Jul 06, 2 25 12 PM.jpg
    Photo Jul 06, 2 25 12 PM.jpg
    263.4 KB · Views: 19
Zip ties and surveyor flags are the "duct tape" of baby tree junkies

bill

I made a " map " and directory of all the trees we have planted at camp. I made copies and have the info saved on computer too. Sure as H, some bear will pull down and break a lower scaffold limb or in the future, the cages will fall into disrepair ( after I'm gone !! ) and the tags will be lost somehow. I figured I better get all the info saved on paper and have copies at camp and with several members so the tree identities won't be forgotten. You know how things go ............

I got a cheap punch set and a few round blanks. I attach variety and year on one side and a number on the other. I catalog various info about each tree on an excel file corresponding to the number, but like having the variety and year on the tree itself. I attach using arbor guard tree lock (the heavy duty, plastic, hook and loop style ties often used for attaching the tree to the stake) along with either a zip tie or key ring.

I attach to the lowest scaffold branch at the trunk with plenty of wiggle room.

It works really well and should outlast me.

I also bought a cheap punch set and some blanks off Amazon. I think I paid around $50 for a punch set and 100 blanks, so that seemed like a good deal. I drill a hole through the aluminum blanks, punch them, then attach them with some electric fencing wire. I'm really happy with how they turned out.

my beer can tags turned out to be too thin/brittle. nearly all were torn off in the wind. i'm switching to aluminum flashing.