Tree Stand height

BobinCt

5 year old buck +
I generally put my stands up 17-20 feet, depending on the terrain. I put in a secluded food plot this year that is in the perfect location and is 3/4 of an acre , totally surrounded by hardwoods on all sides. I have high hopes on this plot. The trees where I want to put a stand are about 70-110 yards from the plot but of course they aren’t straight ( that would be too easy). I could prob only get up about 8 ft before the trees start to bend. I would def need great cover if this was possible. I don’t even recall if the trees had great cover. I’d like to sneak in there Monday and put up a stand since Tuesday we are getting rain and will get my scent washed out somewhat. I don’t like blinds so that’s out of the question. I like being elevated. Anybody ever hunt low on stands, like 8 ft?

I generally put my stands up 17-20 feet, depending on the terrain. I put in a secluded food plot this year that is in the perfect location and is 3/4 of an acre , totally surrounded by hardwoods on all sides. I have high hopes on this plot. The trees where I want to put a stand are about 70-110 yards from the plot but of course they aren’t straight ( that would be too easy). I could prob only get up about 8 ft before the trees start to bend. I would def need great cover if this was possible. I don’t even recall if the trees had great cover. I’d like to sneak in there Monday and put up a stand since Tuesday we are getting rain and will get my scent washed out somewhat. I don’t like blinds so that’s out of the question. I like being elevated. Anybody ever hunt low on stands, like 8 ft?

I used to get as high as I could but in my later years find I let the breakup factor dictate my stand height. I have been 4 foot off the ground and had deer walk by completely oblivious, it is all about the backdrop as viewed from the deer’s possible locations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What species of trees are you hanging in or around your tree?
Species like beech and oak hold their leaves well into the rut and after and provide nice stand cover.
And there are some great new "stand" options on the market these days. The new generation of tree saddles are very user friendly and the new Predator platform for saddle hunting is sweet, weighs less than 3 pounds and goes up quickly on almost any tree. Saddles can open up a whole lot more possibilities for stands.
And yes, I've hunted at 8 feet. All depends on the situation.

I prefer to be 20-25', but sometimes you have to go with what you've got.

Tap: trees are oak and I just looked at the platform and tree saddle. I might go that route.

I have hunted a lot at 8-10 feet. It's too low for bow hunting in my opinion. Get higher if you can.

Tap: trees are oak and I just looked at the platform and tree saddle. I might go that route.
PM sent

I prefer 20'+, but you can sometimes get away with lower as other have stated based on the back drop.

I have hung chicken wire and attached limbs from artificial Christmas trees around some of my more exposed stands. The artificial limbs have been surprisingly durable lasting over 10 years now. After Christmas many people throw old artificial trees to the curb so they are mostly free, I have paid $5 for some at garage sales.

Some of my ladder stands only have 2 of the 3 ladder sections attached. Gets me 8-10' off the ground but keeps me under the growth that would block my views in these areas if I were to go up higher. Have seen and taken many deer from them. Lack of movement is SO important, even when you think no deer are around. Made me a better hunter. Almost feels like cheating now when I'm 17 feet up.

I think the shortest stand I hunt from is roughly 12' 2-man type stand. The key with being low is having GREAT COVER. 8 feet seems a bit low to me, but if your out away from where you expect the deer to be you could get away with it. If your bow hunting and expect a deer within 30 yards - being that low is going to be tough....real tough.

My stands are avg. 15 ft. off the ground - a few higher, a few lower. None less than 8 ft. to the foot platform. It depends on the surrounding cover as a backdrop / outline break-up, AND what you have to see through or under (limbs). I try to place all my stands with some variety of evergreens to help hide my outline. We're lucky to have lots of pines, spruce, and hemlocks to afford ample cover for stands. My best ones are tucked into evergreens so that a deer approaching on a trail or walking a field edge will not be able to see me until it's too late for him.

My best advice is to use available cover the best you can and take sight lines into account when placing stands. If good cover isn't where you need it, bring some cover in. See North Mo at post #9, or use natural limbs and background trees. Avoid being a "big, dark, blob" against the skyline where none was before. I'd do any cover alterations a few months in advance so deer can get used to them. FWIW.

Go high or go home! Kidding, that was my "I'm young, fearless and can climb anything self".... now its all about what makes sense... High if it does - low if it does... After hunting out west and taking deer off the ground and out of low stands I've changed my perspectives on my choices - like mentioned above its about the break up/cover and where I figure I have to make my shots out to. High stands often mean steep shooting angles with greater chance of an oops; Though I've always had more of a sense of security from getting sight busted or winded while up high and the view counts too - I tend to see whats coming a ways out more so when your up in the sky than stuffed in brush on the ground but, and its getting to be a BIG but as you get older the distance to the ground and pain of impact perception greatly increases with each passing year.

To give you an idea of how low of a tree stand I've put up - there are times I have just taken my summit seat section out and hung it on a tree.... other times I have hung my full climber on a tree while standing on the ground and just climbed up on to the lower platform and sat with my feet 2-3 feet off the ground. Its about what works in the spot your at. If I was going to make a million dollar shot and could guarantee getting an arrow off or a round fired I would take a flat ground shot every time.

I've been using a 21' Millennium ladder stand. It is heavy but does not require that middle bar that most tall ladder stands do which mean the tree must be straight. Instead it has double rails on the sides of the ladder for stiffness. The tree only needs to be straight where the tooth bar engages it and a few feet above. It can make turns below that.

For gun hunting, I would have no problem hunting at 8' provided I had good cover and a good view. For bowhunting where I want to be within 20 yards or so for a shot, I want more height.

Thanks,

jack

Thx guys for replies.

I know you said you dont like them - but if my choice was 8 ft high, I would much rather be in a ground blind. 15 ft on up for a tree stand - maybe 12 in the right tree. Once I finally broke down and started hunting from a ground blind, I have killed more deer from it than an elevated stand. Usually, I can put them where I want and am not dictated by finding the right tree.

My stands are at 12-14 feet high with most of them at 14 feet. I also use artificial Christmas tree branches to cover up stands. I buy them off Craigslist, get them at the dump for free and advertise on freecycle.com for free ones. As stated by North Mo, they last for years. One caveat about artificial Xmas trees. Get the ones without strings of lights. I have spent hours taking off all the lights on some of the earlier trees I got from Craigslist. Now I will only buy or get free trees that have no strings of lights on them. As I have a lot of pine in my area, these green limbs blend in quite naturally.