Tree selection please

Angus 1895

5 year old buck +
Rocky rich bottomland that periodically floods? Yet drought tolerant?

stand of tall Johnson grass
Zone 5 A

soil ph 7.1

thanks

White cedar. I see them WET 6 months at a time. Some of them along the govt swamps look to be a couple hundred years old in my area. I have plenty planted on upland sites on my land that went through HARSH drought in 2021. 100% survived. I was very impressed how those handled drought.

Western red cedar

I'll second the Bur oak.

Maybe Burgamble also I don’t know if they will handle flooding.

Out of stock now but watch the site in fall they go fast.

red oaks are more flood tolerant. First thing came to mind was red dogwood.

My personal 2 favorite trees are hickory and mulberry. Just enjoy the squirrels going batty in there. A few years back explored this beautiful oak forest on state land in late august acorns everywhere, but no squirrels. Thinking the neighbors kid is a qugley with a bb gun or something. Then, I found a hickory in there, easily 25 squirrels on that tree. 1st kill with my favorite gun too cz452 ultra lux, my 22lr practice rifle for muzzleloader shoots.

Personally, I like maze hunts. Rows of forage separated with brush and a few trees here in there in the rows. Perfect for big and small game. Stalk hunt around the corners if your falling asleep in the treestand... Kind of have that at camp. Cleaned up some walking trail areas to my regular stands. Run the walk behind brush hog to keep young trees at bay. Instead of food plots in the rows, I got waist high young trees.

Last edited:
I think hickory might be a good choice also.

it is interesting the bur oak to what I read needs well drained soil.

Dogwood would be something I’d consider?

Not sure if you just want roots in the ground or looking to feed something but for just a tree, Willows are all through our swampy areas here in NY and landscapers plant them in wet areas on lawns to dry things up. Swamp White Oaks take some water too, and any of the Dogwoods for deer browse, cover, and berries for all kind of wildlife.

The dog woods are not doing that well here. They are too tasty. I got a resident herd of deer. I am looking for shade mostly.

And hardwood growth. There is a lot of willows here but they are too dense. I tried germinating hackberry but failed. It seems I grow oak the best. Would like to find shagbark hickory for bat 🦇 habitat.

I have about 70 germinated burr cross oak and swamp white. I didn’t mark them so ( I don’t know which is which yet) and I was concerned the burr couldn’t be flooded. But you guys have stated it might not matter. Which one I try down in the flooded ground.

Last edited:
Bur and SWO for your white oaks, that far north I would use Pin oaks as opposed to Shumard. Mulberry is also a good often overlooked choice. Silky and Red Oshier dogwood planted into cut tree tops.

My property has bottomland, but it is not rocky. What I've seen throughout the bottom are Red Oaks, White Oaks, SWO, SCO, Persimmon, Hickory and Beechnut. I just planted Bur Oak and Nuttall Oak in a spot covered in River Burch trees that I hinged cut and double girdled. I was shocked to see Persimmon and most of them are 30-60 feet tall.