TREE NURSERIES

Boone

5 year old buck +
I'm looking to purchase 6-8 apple trees. I would like trees that drop late. I usually go with Woodstock but from what I'm hearing their trees are mostly m7. Also Cummins inventory for b118 looks slim. Any recommendations? I'm in West central Wi.

If it's up to date, Looks like Turkey Creek has decent inventory left on B118. Enterprise, GoldRush, Arkansas Black and Galarina all hang late and are available on B118

You might want to take a look at Turkey Creek Trees and FEDCO Trees.

I'm from MidEastern Michigan (Saginaw Valley, Zone 5). I buy mostly from Stark Bros. and Grandpa's Orchard (MI). I've also bought from Cummins but they have mostly smaller rootstock and trees are smaller. (They're a good source for rootstocks, though.) I believe "dwarf" trees from Stark's are on M7 or smaller rootstock and those labeled "semi-dwarf" are on M106 or larger rootstock. Which is good enough for me unless on troubled soil. Drop times for apples are not often mentioned in nursery catalog descriptions, but usually in Breeder descriptions. Otherwise most late-ripening apples tend to hold well. Those that hold well for me (Late Nov. +, although they may be too far gone for fresh eating by then) are Sun Fugi, Rome, Goldrush & Braeburn (both don't usually ripen for me), Shizuka, Golden Del., Smoothee, Honeycrisp, Golden Russett, Jonagold, Turley Winesap. Liberty will hold through Oct. but go soft on the tree. Most I pick when well ripe and most will hang. Jonagold will fall if not thinned; but if they overproduce they don't taste as good anyway, as I found out this year.
Of these varieties, often the raccoons and 'possoms get them before they fall even when I leave them to drop on their own.

Last edited:
I'm looking to purchase 6-8 apple trees. I would like trees that drop late. I usually go with Woodstock but from what I'm hearing their trees are mostly m7. Also Cummins inventory for b118 looks slim. Any recommendations? I'm in West central Wi.

Look for Kerr crab on B118 or even from Baileys which will probably be on dolgo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look for Kerr crab on B118 or even from Baileys which will probably be on dolgo.

Does Baileys even do retail, thought they might only be wholesale and only sell to other businesses? Actually Woodstock mentions in the Dec 2018 flyer "Apple trees offered below are well branched and top quality from Bailey Nurseries". Woodstock does have some they list as standard size trees and on antonovka or b118 but only xxx-large size trees and are pricey as a result. Maybe Baileys could tell you who else sells their stuff.

Turkey Creek probably has some good stuff but watch it for zone 4 on some varieties listed above.

I believe as a rule Baileys only does "wholesalers"; that being said if you buy enough from them and have a state nursery number which in WI is something like 35 bucks for a nursery that does limited sales you can do a minimum order from them which I believe is 800 dollars. I looked into buying direct from them a few years ago and if my memory is right that was kind of their minimum requirement.

Boone where are you roughly located ..

Does Baileys even do retail, thought they might only be wholesale and only sell to other businesses? Actually Woodstock mentions in the Dec 2018 flyer "Apple trees offered below are well branched and top quality from Bailey Nurseries". Woodstock does have some they list as standard size trees and on antonovka or b118 but only xxx-large size trees and are pricey as a result. Maybe Baileys could tell you who else sells their stuff.

Turkey Creek probably has some good stuff but watch it for zone 4 on some varieties listed above.

Wow, there are multiple "turkey creek" tree farms/nurseries. I'm guessing you're using turkeycreektrees.com?

Most of the trees you buy at local Minnesota nurseries ( and probably parts of Wisconsin) come from Baileys. A few years ago I was told they often use dolgo as rootstock on the semi dwarf trees and it has worked fine for me. Perhaps semi dwarf is not the proper name, but it is not their dwarf trees. It is their larger tree sold for rural parts of Minnesota.

I would call or pm Chris at @Turkey Creek and get some great choices from him!

I get mine from Dennis Smith Landscaping and Nursery in Osseo, Wi. He uses Baileys for his fruit trees and I've never had one under 6' tall or 7/8 caliper. $25

Dont over look some of your smaller local nurseries and people that seasonally sell trees .. they can be a good source for bare root trees in the spring especially for smaller orders... often you can hand pick your trees (most of the time you have to preorder for specific trees but they always have a few stock trees), they are picked up by the seller and drove home and cold stored with out many of the boxed shipped stressors that mail order trees often face.

Maybe some of the wi/mn guys know of some small local coulee region nursery that is a trusted source - most handle bailey trees anyway and I know there a few down that way. I will still buy a tree or two this way if the cash price is right... When you drop a 1 inch tree in the ground and step back and look at it you know your are ahead of the game - compared to 3/8 to 1/2 inch calp. mail order trees.

If and its just me saying this, (and that is how I started planting apple trees 4-8 trees a t a crack) if I was only doing eight and Im not being cocky - eight is still a ton of work, I would pay a bit more for a larger 3/4 to 1" caliper tree - getting an older tree that has a few years jump start, pick the variety I wanted instead of messing with having trees shipped. I think the price often washes out if you figure you have 2-3 years of a jump on smaller trees.

I ended up ordering through Wallace Woodstock again. After talking with Tom, the owner, he confirmed Franklin on b118 and Enterprise on m111. They are spendy trees but I've always received high quality from them. Thanks for the responses. We will have about 30 apple/crabapple trees after these are planted.

Last edited:
I ended up ordering through Wallace Woodstock again. After talking with Tom, the owner, he confirmed Franklin on b118 and Enterprise on m111.

I see your variety has leached to other nurseries @Appleman ........ :)