Tree labels

I double tag all my trees. An Impress-O-tag wired to a limb and a piece of scrap vinyl siding written on with a grease pencil. Nothing worst than an unmarked "mystery" tree. :emoji_rage:

I use the Impress Tags like the ones Scott shows above. I was also once able to find some bigger ones but can't find them anymore. I have two tips for using these:

1. Don't use the little wires that comes with them, because they are fragile and I have seen them break. Replace with a piece of electric fence wire. I carry a little roll of this in the back of the pickup and just cut a piece of it off for various uses when I need wire.

2. To keep the little tags from flopping around, just cut a longer piece of wire and wrap them to the cage in several directions. This holds them tight against the cage. A roll of electric fence wire is cheap and lasts forever doing different little farm jobs, so you can use it liberally....

Somebody, years ago, recommended that, in addition to hanging a tag in the tree, burying one at the base of the tree... like, on the north side. That way, if it blows off, or the deer eat them off(b@sta@rds ate almost every aluminum pop-can tag I put on my pears), you can ID the tree. Wish I'd followed that lead...

I've got a set of old 5'-wide aluminum Venetian blinds, with baked-on enamel paint, brown on one side, white on the other. Probably close to a lifetime supply. I write on the white side with pencil, scribe the name through the brown paint on the other side with a nail... it'll last longer than I will.

Based on the comments in this thread, I think somebody could do well by starting up a small business to make a better solution to the need for tree tags. I don't know what the better solution would look like, but there is opportunity here for a clever inventor.

Fur trapper's zinc/aluminum write on trap tags can be had at FNT Post or Minnesota Trappers Supply. 100 tags for about $10.00.

Last edited:
will pencil really hold up that well?

I just received another box of 50 Emboss-o-tags from the same place I ordered the first 50 from. The box was shipped to me by Amazon in a plastic envelope. The tags look like someone stepped on the box, and from more than one angle. I'm doing my best to straighten each one out by hand before writing on them. The potential for shipping damage is a downside with them.

Down in my basement making these little suckers up. Going to run a wire on the top and bottom to the welded wire cages so they won’t flop in the wind. Should work out pretty nice!

e718a3e701f056c58f5e0e591653f6f2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fur trapper's zinc/aluminum write on trap tags can be had at FNT Post or Minnesota Trappers Supply. 100 tags for about $10.00.
Thanks for the tip Im going to give some a try.