Tree labels

NE PA QDM

5 year old buck +
Is it possible to get tags like this that I can print from a regular laser printer? I have been using aluminum tags but I’d love to get something like this (without having to buy a special printer/equipment other than the plastic for the labels).

Attachments

• C670B48F-4BC3-4D34-BA37-08FEEE9B2DB5.jpeg
    C670B48F-4BC3-4D34-BA37-08FEEE9B2DB5.jpeg
    62.8 KB · Views: 59
The plastic tags don't last too long, so I'd recommend sticking with aluminum or brass.

If you only need the tags to last a couple years though the plastic idea is fine. When I graft I use a similar plastic tag that is labeled using a sharpie marker. That's just my temporary tag that is replaced with an aluminum tag I punch using a punch set.

NE PA - search whatever search engine you prefer for "laser strip tags". Looks like most places sell in 1000's but some have smaller quantities

I went to a siding store and asked for a sample ring of vinyl siding. Write on them with a carpenter pencil and they last forever

Buy a pack of blank copper trap tags and either hand write on them or get some sort of letter stamp at hobby lobby

Really appreciate the feedback.

The plastic tags that come with the GRIN scions have been on my trees for a few years and have held up really well and are super fast and easy to loop onto a branch. I have my trees marked with aluminum tags but some of them have fallen off (tied on with braided decoy line). I have been making a bunch of frankentrees by grafting individual branches so keeping each branch marked has been a bit challenging, some trees have a few tags loose at the base of the tree and I can’t figure out which branch is which variety.
Also I think the laser tags will give me an easy option for a tag I can read from a few feet away. With my aluminum tags I have to get close to read them and always find a way to blind myself with reflected sunlight.

I am in the same boat as you NE. I have tried aluminum tags, and I have tried plastic tags with magic markers. The aluminum tags are hard to read, and the magic markers fade after a year or two. 20-some years ago, my brother-in-law got some Diagraph industrial markers which we used to put our names on our tools (wood, metal and plastic). To this day, those marks are still clearly legible. This year, I am going to again cut milk jugs into strips and punch a hole to attach to tree. This time, I am ordering the Diagraph Markers to write variety and rootstock. Based on my experience, the “Industrial” inks last far longer than the ones I can buy at Staples. My guess is that the labels used by the nurseries are printed using industrial type inks. I can’t say for sure this will work, but I pass it along for what it’s worth.

Daigraph:
https://www.diagraphmsp.com/gp-x-classic-markers-scollect28

CSP Forestry:
http://cspforestry.com/products/dia...4VJOdM1vT0Hua6EeyEXnrj15kHTIuUrwaApkDEALw_wcB

Do you know anyone with a cricut machine? My wife has one and can print and cut pretty much anything under the sun. Decals, stckers, pretty much anything vinyl based.

My wife actually has one of those. Little does she know it’s about to get commandeered for apple tree business .

Do you know anyone with a cricut machine? My wife has one and can print and cut pretty much anything under the sun. Decals, stckers, pretty much anything vinyl based.

I went to a siding store and asked for a sample ring of vinyl siding. Write on them with a carpenter pencil and they last forever
Now that is a great idea!!! Thanks!

Attached is a photo of the tags I got ready today for tying onto tree enclosures. Writing on them went faster than I expected and I was surprised by how much information I was able to fit on them. I could have written additional information on the back sides on them too, such as planting year, names of people who helped me plant them, etc. I think I am going to order a lot more of these. I have all my trees mapped, but I think that someday my eventual heirs will appreciate having the individual trees tagged as well. My handwriting isn't the greatest, but if they have the maps in hand, they should be able to figure it out.

Attachments

• First Batch of Tags.jpg
    First Batch of Tags.jpg
    425.5 KB · Views: 69
Yes, same tags I use. They last a long time... to years so far.

I just use the pre-numbered aluminum tags. I keep a database with the details.

Thanks,

Jack

I have thought about using a system with pheasant leg tags, they have enough room to punch in the variety name but also a nice deep number as well to tie to a wire to.

Last edited:
Attached is a photo of the tags I got ready today for tying onto tree enclosures. Writing on them went faster than I expected and I was surprised by how much information I was able to fit on them. I could have written additional information on the back sides on them too, such as planting year, names of people who helped me plant them, etc. I think I am going to order a lot more of these. I have all my trees mapped, but I think that someday my eventual heirs will appreciate having the individual trees tagged as well. My handwriting isn't the greatest, but if they have the maps in hand, they should be able to figure it out.
I use same tags just have to watch wind doesn’t blow them around and have them flap. I have one ended holes on my gage and hang on cage and once I a while the wire ties will cut through the aluminum from constant flapping in wind. Just a tip. I also write on both sides of tag

Personally, I got tired of watching these aluminum tags constantly flashing in breeze like a school of minnows in the shallows. I pulled them off, and the orchard is much more visually peaceful now. I like the tags themselves, but I have to find a better way to attach them to the tree.

Good point. I'll think about attaching them with the wires and then zip tying the middle of them to the enclosure to prevent the flapping.

One more thing I've noticed over the years and that is all kinds of things happen in the field. Tree tags occasionally disappear. I use a GIS for a lot of management stuff. Not inexpensive but you can rent ARCGIS for $100/year for personal use. I put all my trees on the map that is tied to the DB. That way, even if I lose the numbered tag, I know which tree is which.

I can always replace a numbered tag, but once information is lost, it is gone. The tag numbers just become a quick way to find a specific tree in the DB.

Thanks,

Jack

I know it's not needed when you can write on them but my handwriting is so bad I bought a set of stamps from Harbor Frieght for about $10.

3NUcocS.jpg

Personally, I got tired of watching these aluminum tags constantly flashing in breeze like a school of minnows in the shallows. I pulled them off, and the orchard is much more visually peaceful now. I like the tags themselves, but I have to find a better way to attach them to the tree.

yep, I had the same problem initially. I ended up tying them tight to the remesh, but inside the ‘V’ of my T posts if that makes sense? So they are tight to the T post and guarded from the wind so they don’t flap.