All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

tree id help

beau_cephus

Yearling... With promise
I came across a large tree this morning while hunting on the farm and it had signs of wildlife feeding under it. I assumed it was some sort of white oak but couldn't find any signs of acorns. Below are a few pics of the leaves and bark. Any clues on what species this is?

IMG_20170102_083331314.jpg
IMG_20170102_083324695.jpg
IMG_20170102_083303337.jpg

Columnar oak?

I believe that is the Blackjack Oak, I have thousands of them. Usually the acorns are small like a DCO.

I believe that is the Blackjack Oak, I have thousands of them. Usually the acorns are small like a DCO.
Looks like Post oak, in the white oak group.

Looks like Post oak, in the white oak group.
I originally thought it may be a post oak x white oak hybrid. I guess I may have to wait until it gets acorns to see if I can figure it out.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Post oak will have much deeper lobes and will look like a cross. 100% certain it's a blackjack as I went out to one a second ago and confirmed it just in case I had lost my mind

Post oak will have much deeper lobes and will look like a cross. 100% certain it's a blackjack as I went out to one a second ago and confirmed it just in case I had lost my mind

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I was able to get some additional photos in April while turkey hunting. I’m leaning bur oak? Still no acorns to check
b48abbb550ab3d6abbac5c19e7af2254.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk