Transplant Timing

soavejas

A good 3 year old buck
Hey guys,

I've got a couple young apple trees that I'd like to transplant out to the farm this offseason. I was originally thinking of doing it around April 1st just before green up but this warm spell has me thinking I could get it done a little early.

Any disadvantage or potential problems I could face by doing this now?

It's just a handful of trees and this is in southern Michigan for what that's worth.

Thanks in advance.

I like Fall-early winter planting, roots will still grow a little if ground isn't frozen and you get all the advantage of winter melt off and spring rains. Just make sure you get all air pockets out when planting and protect the trees well, screen&cage.
I just transplanted ten good size potted blue spruce the other day, two years ago I planted a bunch of bare root pears in very frosty ground early December from Wildlife Group and they have ended up doing really good.

I agree with h2ofwler, I am in southern Michigan as well and have transplanted and/or planted many trees this time of year and have had very good luck. I would do it now, as long as the air pockets are eliminated I don't see any disadvantages