All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transitioning indoor grown trees outside

gunfun13

5 year old buck +
I have about 100 chestnuts, chinkapins, pear and crabapples I've been growing indoors all winter. What methods have worked for you guys to transition them outside? My main concerns are preventing sun burn and not sure the seedlings are sturdy enough to handle much wind. At what point do I no longer have to worry about predation of chestnuts by rodents?

Start off with an hour or so depending on how sunny it is. Work up from there. I've had mine out a few times already this year. Still has to warm up. It's s pain to go in and out but you have too. I cut myself off at around 30 trees cause it turns into work when you start getting more than that.

Chipmunks will destroy your baby trees. I'd say anything will. Poison keeps them down. Don't trust rabbits or squirrels if u have them around either. Obviously deer too

If you have raised tomato plants in the house, treat the trees the same.

My trees would go outside to the north side of the house (shade) for an hour or two. I would also sit some tall plastic buckets around them to reduce the wind. And I would put a circle of 1/4 inch mesh around them to reduce critters getting at them if necessary.
If the trees are tall, you might need to protect them with your body when carrying them outside on windy days.

Make sure you cut the nuts off of them (jokes welcome).

I'd wait a few weeks here before you start them outside We've still got danger of frost most nights, which is what you need to worry about the most.

Did you ever get those english to germinate?

English Oak acorns are still in the fridge with no signs of germination. I lost interest in them once I got everything else going. I have way more trees than I'd like to care for this year already.

Do you really cut the nuts off? I was wondering about that, I don't want rodents digging up my trees.

When they are eventually planted at their final destination they will be tubed or caged with lumite. However, I'm considering nursing them at home (neighborhood setting) for a year in 1 gallon rootmaker pots. Won't have to worry about deer there, but do have squirrels and mice.

English Oak acorns are still in the fridge with no signs of germination. I lost interest in them once I got everything else going. I have way more trees than I'd like to care for this year already.

Do you really cut the nuts off? I was wondering about that, I don't want rodents digging up my trees.
I think we all start off that way, and then you have to either pot them up or get them in the ground!

I'd say take the nuts off. I had a few fall off within a week or two of getting their leaves and they are fine.