All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trailcam pics

Maybe you can teach that big kitty to help deter your trespassers!
A big kitty named Deputy Davis did some deterring. Man it feels good. I have been having problems with this guy for a couple decades or more. Usually he takes the cameras or sd cards. I lost three cameras (cheap ones) last year and one sd card, after they drove by some other cameras and flipped them off. I don't know if he did not see the camera, or if he just did not care. He was probably too worried about impressing his date, and I am sure she was very impressed when they got pulled out of the vehicle and issued a citation. Next time will be criminal, and there will be a next time.

Thoughts on age? I’ve never seen him before this pic. Then I saw him this morning on my way to town crossing the road. Glassed him for a few seconds. I think 4? He didn’t look older than that to me this morning and I find it hard to believe he could grow that much antler at 3. Thoughts?
7f1b5b3951ff5826539cb9785be9c562.jpeg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thoughts on age? I’ve never seen him before this pic. Then I saw him this morning on my way to town crossing the road. Glassed him for a few seconds. I think 4? He didn’t look older than that to me this morning and I find it hard to believe he could grow that much antler at 3. Thoughts?

Hard to say from one pic, but there are plenty of 170"+ three year olds out there (he isn't one of them, just making a point). My guess would be 4 if he was in the area I hunt. No better buck to put a tag on than a transient roamer, IMO.

Not to derail the thread. But is still made? I put it on a mock licking branch years ago and they went right to it.

Thanks for reminding me. I need to buy a fresh stick of Evercalm. Love that stuff.

I'd say 3, but could be 4. Not much mass and body looks slender.

It’s quite possible that it is a 4 year old. Bucks have lost a fair amount of body fat by now.

Yeah, don't think this guy has been doing much eating lately.

Attachments

• IMG_20231118_085801257_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20231118_085801257_HDR.jpg
    286.4 KB · Views: 29
A wild trio of up and comers getting after it. Haha

Great pics. The closeup on the licking branch is awesome and the buck with the crazy brow tine is interesting. Lots of potential.

Great pics. The closeup on the licking branch is awesome and the buck with the crazy brow tine is interesting. Lots of potential.
Thanks Gravel! If you can't tell pinch point scrapes are my favorite trailcam placement spots.

Late rut cruiser…
63b5fc062ce7ce6685e6d118352f538e.jpeg

30336e24c6a68d890f9204718fd660c1.jpeg

It’s actually this buck we found the sheds from last year. I never got a picture of him or saw him during daylight last year.
6bf5c0a865dcc933c63913771d868c85.jpg

b00413f62edaa0b0e57a6b287ede4edb.jpg

Very cool and unique

Best part for me is my mom was with me when I found his right antler and my dad found his left side while we were looking. Pretty neat to have both parents involved.

My boy came back tonight and he is missing his left eye. He showed up in my back yard just after legal light. I have a plan for tomorrow. Dad says I can’t shoot a buck with one eye, it’s not fair. I told him I wish he was blind in both…
c3a47a7880c1a7f362699501230c8958.jpg

Wow, no words... what a beast. I've been wondering about your quest for that deer. Animals are so tough. I always wrastle with the emotion of are we ending their happiness or putting them out of their misery. Good luck!

Wow, no words... what a beast. I've been wondering about your quest for that deer. Animals are so tough. I always wrastle with the emotion of are we ending their happiness or putting them out of their misery. Good luck!
I don't think it's anything but the former. Like you said, these animals aren't giving up their shot at life easily, they want to be here and their will to live is insane.