Tractor 6v to 12v

bowhunternw

5 year old buck +
There has to be a couple of old tractor guys on here. I am panning to convert a old farmall to 12v this year. Question is would it cause any harm to throw in a 12v battery and just plug in the voltage resistor to the coil, for temporary use? Now I realize that full conversions involve switching out the generator with an alternator and some rewiring. So I would have to charge the battery by other means. Was just trying to figure out if this would be a cheap get around for the summer.

Kits are so cheap now days I wouldn't waste your time trying to half it..

That being said I have a 9n with a 8 volt battery and works great for last ten years (knock on wood) 9n's have a generator that can be dialed up high enough to keep the 8v charged. Not sure about farm all, if you can't increase power from 6v generator, the 8volt battery just becomes a weak 6v battery (same would theoretically happen with 12v bat) My 641 work master is converted to 12v only since I wanted brighter lights. I have 2 other tractors with 6 volt and they work fine, a little slow to fire in winter but work.

Usually 12v conversions are more often a band aid for something else wrong it seems

Since you said temporary, maybe just jump it with a 12v truck. Turn ignition on, transmission in N! Cables direct to starter, not battery.

I get your response. The tractor is fairly new to me and wanted to try to get a good years use out of it to see if any major issues come up. The 6 volt is getting weak and barely will turn over in the cold. Resistors don't cost much, so I thought if I need to buy a new battery I might as well buy a 12 volt. But yes the few times I need to use it this summer I could just jump start, and yes I realize the danger of hooking up a 12 volt supply to a 6 volt battery.

I have a friend that has a old Farmall H that he restored. Everything is nice on it, but he has had a 5+ year battle with the 6 volt system. He can't seem to figure it out. I asked him why he doesn't convert it to a 12 and he said he wants to keep it original. I had my Massey Harris 44 converted over and it is a awesome starting tractor. My neighbor had some somebody do his Allis B and they really screwed things up bad. I think it had something to do with the wrong amount of teeth on the flywheel. Just something watch for, I'd make sure it is done right by someone that knows what their doing.

Let me say, I've never converted a tractor so keep that in mind. I think the issue you will run into is charging the battery. You can use a resistor to drop the voltage for starting but the 6-volt it much more complex to have the tractor charge the battery. I'd disconnect the battery from the charging circuit if you are going to step down the voltage. After each use, I'd simply plug the 12-volt battery into a smart charger.

Thanks,

Jack

Let me say, I've never converted a tractor so keep that in mind. I think the issue you will run into is charging the battery. You can use a resistor to drop the voltage for starting but the 6-volt it much more complex to have the tractor charge the battery. I'd disconnect the battery from the charging circuit if you are going to step down the voltage. After each use, I'd simply plug the 12-volt battery into a smart charger.

Thanks,

Jack

What Jack said. Your idea will work but best to disconnect the charging system. Try the forums on yesterday’s tractor if you tackle more. Also ask at the local mill which old farmers are good mechanics with farmalls and you might luck into a new friend that likes to help with the tractor. Our friend that is a good mechanic is always showing us broken stuff on equipment that I miss. Big help!

resistor will work just fine. also remember that for the most part you can start a 6v tractor on a 12v battery. Just keep the lights off. it's just gonna spin the starter fast. the issue comes with the lights. But to the orginal post.. resistor will be fine. no different that the majority of the computers most people are typing on right now. It's not taking 110V's into it, the battery charger you use for your shaver...etc..