Time to break out the permethrin

Someday isle

5 year old buck +
I was out working again today cutting up the trees I took down last time out. I found my first tick of the year crawling up my leg on the way home. It’s time to break out the permethrin.

I hate those little buggers.

I love me some permethrin!!!

I became a believer a few years ago after getting over 300 chigger bites at once. And with all these diseases they carry, I don’t want to end up sick.

There’s even a new disease out there that makes you allergic to red meat. I can’t have that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Already!

Death to all ticks. Every single one of them.

Get some 10% permethrin and mix 1 oz to 19 ozs of water (.5%), spray down your clothes and let dry. Ticks may crawl on you but not for long.

Get some 10% permethrin and mix 1 oz to 19 ozs of water (.5%), spray down your clothes and let dry. Ticks may crawl on you but not for long.

I bought the concentrate from Keystone and mix it myself. I put it in a garden sprayer. I use is for my coveralls, I spray the inside of my blinds and permanent box blinds to discourage wasps, and I use it to keep Japanese beetles from decimating my young seedlings. I love it!

It must me a good year concerning ticks in my area. I shot a long-beard this morning and did not find a single tick on it. That is rare in my area.

Thanks,

Jack

I bought the concentrate from Keystone and mix it myself. I put it in a garden sprayer. I use is for my coveralls, I spray the inside of my blinds and permanent box blinds to discourage wasps, and I use it to keep Japanese beetles from decimating my young seedlings. I love it!

It must me a good year concerning ticks in my area. I shot a long-beard this morning and did not find a single tick on it. That is rare in my area.

Thanks,

Jack

That is an awesome idea. I never thought to spray structures with it

Yes, it seems to bond with the wood. I went from fighting wasps every year to retreating every couple years. It acts as a preventative as wasps are reluctant to build a nest where it was sprayed.

Thanks,

Jack

It also works great for preventing those Japan beetles from getting into my cabin.

Think I'd rather be mauled by a cougar and scavenged on by a pack of wolves than become allergic to red meat from a bug bite
My wife has it "alpha gal" and it's not just red meat that you become allergic to, it's ALL mammal meat. She has had it for about 8 years and it has put her in the hospital several times because of cross contamination in restaurants, we very rarely eat out any more for that reason. I guess it's a good thing that I love poultry and seafood because it's all we eat!! :emoji_sunglasses:

I sprayed my work clothes, my hat, and my boots today. I know there’s a cheaper way by using concentrate but I don’t use that much so rather than buy concentrate I just use the sawyers premade stuff. I prefer the aerosol, it seems to cover better with less waste. One can treats everything pretty well. It’s supposed to last I think 42days but I tend to treat once a month anyway. I work at least once a week when time allows so after a month the clothes probably get washed a half dozen times. I’ve not had a live tick crawling on me when using permethrin and have only had I think one Chigger bite. It’s great stuff in my book. When I was clearing my logging roads after I bought the property I’m sure it saved me hundreds of chigger bites and who knows how many ticks. It’s not at all unusual to find a dead tick on a sock when I work in the summer months.
1C509D86-C447-4523-A909-69964EB1FB7F.jpegE47DB0CB-8E22-47B1-AEB5-B6CDD2CBD608.jpeg

I sure wet down my turkey hunting clothes with it and let dry, it's cheap bug insurance and it works.

I've read on the Boundary Waters Canoe forum that those folks up there treat just about everything with permethrin. Some people actually soak their clothes and tents in the stuff. We treated our stuff before doing a 5 day canoe trip up there and we had almost zero issues with biting insects.

There are mixing instructions on concentrate bottles for different applications. You can treat livestock, buildings, and yards. We have problems with borer bees and I've filled my Fimco sprayer with permethrin mix and sprayed my home and barn. It drastically reduced bee damage.
I've read that permethrin can kill cats so don't use it on your cat.

There was a thread on one of these forums (maybe on the defunct forum??) that had input from someone that really seemed to know their stuff about permethrin. The poster said that there's water based and oil based permethrin. If I'm correctly remembering what he said...permethrin is safe when completely dry after treatment, but the oil based variety never completely dries so it shouldn't be used on clothing. The oil stuff is for treating buildings and such. I did notice that I had some permethrin treated stuff that the chemical odor never completely dissipated. I believe it must have been an oil based permethrin. Gear treated with water based permethrin will be odorless after it dries and the stuff works great.
I like the concentrate that Tractor Supply sells.

Tractor Supply, Agri supply, Internet, Amazon, local garden centers and some pet stores sell the 10% permethrin. I use the Martin's. Mix it to .5% and spray till your hearts content. It works well for ticks, chiggers (redbugs) and other insects. 1 oz of 10% permethrin with 19 ozs of water or 6.5 ozs of 10% with 121.5 ozs of water for a gallon is the ticket. Once it's dry you'll have a good months worth of protection on clothes, just reapply as needed. Can't say how long the spray will last on shooting houses but I'm going to spray the inside of mine down for wasps and see how it does (thanks for the idea fellows).