Tick Question

bowhunternw

5 year old buck +
So the last 2 years I have noticed some tiny ticks on the heads of the deer I have taken. I think I understand the whole deer tick cycle. The adult ticks are active in the fall and in the early spring. These ticks are not adult deer ticks, they seem to be more the size of nymphs. So my question is would these be nymphs living on the deer, or are the adults just that much smaller in the fall vs. spring. My other thought was possibly winter tick nymphs. Thanks

They are immature deer ticks and can be just as dangerous as adult deer ticks.

Well that is why I ask, because the nymphs are supposed to only be active in June and July. Do they just live in the hide of the deer

Well that is why I ask, because the nymphs are supposed to only be active in June and July. Do they just live in the hide of the deer

Maybe, I have picked many up walking through brush in the fall. So I am sure they're out and about too.

I think I am going to start skinning my deer away from my home, I don't really want to be bringing all those ticks back to the family. I sprayed some permethrin on the head after I skinned it out, and about 10 of the little buggers fell down on to the plastic below. Plus I combed thru the hair a bit and there was all kinds of engorged ticks, maybe the tiny ones I am seeing are the males which don't feed in the fall, and are smaller than the females. I HATE deer ticks.

They stay on the hide for awhile after a kill. I take my deer to a processor that will trophy cape them out, I have had ticks still coming off the hide, 3 - 4 days later.