This seasons persimmon graft is fruiting!

R C

A good 3 year old buck
I am an hour north of Dallas and grafted a male persimmon to Yates on March 29. After I did it, realized that I was probably way too early. I watched it and hoped that it would wake up as most of my grafts typically respond in 17-20 days. After several weeks and no signs of life, I thought it was done and I chalked it up to a lesson learned. On day 33, I was walking by and noticed it was leafing out. Fast forward to today and it appears to be developing fruit. I have grafted a couple of persimmon but have mainly done pear. How common is fruit development on same season grafts because this is my first? Thanks Rick.

Attachments

• 90A84972-174E-4CEF-A951-893A0CE6FF88.jpeg
    90A84972-174E-4CEF-A951-893A0CE6FF88.jpeg
    344.7 KB · Views: 30
  • B4E60C63-B800-4719-A22A-6E5459CF5E1F.jpeg
    B4E60C63-B800-4719-A22A-6E5459CF5E1F.jpeg
    236.2 KB · Views: 30
Not necessarily a surprise.
With 'mature' scionwood, those flower parts are already there. You wouldn't have been surprised to see them if it was still on the tree you cut that scion from...that bud doesn't 'know' it's been grafted, and that we consider it to be a 'baby'...

Very interesting to see it wanting to fruit like that, haven’t ever had new grafts of anything do that for me. I don’t think I would let it get to far with it, would rather see the energy go into new upward growth. I don’t even let my new grafts throw low any low stuff and rub off the lower leaves, I start their upward training right off the bat.
Persimmons are something I plan on getting into next year, not common around me at all. I think they would be an awesome addition to the food chain here if I can get them to grow.

Persimmon is more aggressive than any other species I've dealt with, so far as pushing buds from below the graft which will rapidly overtake the graft. Gotta be diligent in keeping rootstock shoots rubbed off at least a couple of times a week for most of the first growing season.

I have some chestnuts crab and Arkansas black producing flowers from this years bench grafts. Does that mean the Scion wood was not from last years growth or do those varieties fruit on new wood?C0B26F4B-E850-4ED4-9C5E-10770D811ED1.jpeg

Last edited:
I am an hour north of Dallas and grafted a male persimmon to Yates on March 29. After I did it, realized that I was probably way too early. I watched it and hoped that it would wake up as most of my grafts typically respond in 17-20 days. After several weeks and no signs of life, I thought it was done and I chalked it up to a lesson learned. On day 33, I was walking by and noticed it was leafing out. Fast forward to today and it appears to be developing fruit. I have grafted a couple of persimmon but have mainly done pear. How common is fruit development on same season grafts because this is my first? Thanks Rick.
I've had that happen when there are fruiting buds on the scions. I typically pinch them off to get more vegetative growth. They won't likely fruit next season for for a number of years until they are more mature. If you are bark grafting native trees with larger root systems, it is not uncommon to get the first fruit in the third leaf. One year I got a couple fruits in the second leaf on one tree but this is is rare. Fruit in the first leaf is the same as bench grafting, a fruit bud on the scion from the mature tree.