Cutting Central Leader on Persimmon Tree

The Fishman

5 year old buck +
I bought a Deer Candy persimmon from Chestnut Hill Outdoors back in May. The central leader was intentionally cut. I really wasn't that worried about it since I bought the tree for $4.50 on clearance. I saw another Chestnut Hill persimmon tree that also had the central leader cut at another Wal Mart and thought it was odd. Over the summer, I emailed Chestnut Hill about cutting the central leader asking why they would do that. They responded "The only Grafted American Persimmons I recall getting pruned were the Morris Burton's and it was because they grew too tall for the pallets. The trees are stacked on the pallets. Morris Burton is a fast and vigorous grower and Deer Magnet is a slow grower, always last to leaf out after dormancy. It should still grow fine and produce as well." I saw a video from Chestnut Hill today and the persimmon in the video (see photo below) also had the central leader cut. So does anyone know why you would intentionally cut the central leader of a persimmon or any tree? The tree is doing fine. I will plant it in its permanent home in a couple of months and I am training another branch to become the central leader. It seems to be a common practice for Chestnut Hill, so I am just curious as to why they, and perhaps others, prune the central leader.

persimmon.jpg

One recommendation from Cummins nursery is to head the central leader back to 36" and cut every side branch to a 1" stub. Worked fine for the apples and pear trees i planted from them in 2015. I don't always do that but they responded.

I've never planted anything but small persimmons so i have no experience heading those back.

Cutting back central leaders by as about 1/3 is an EXTREMELY common practice either at the nurseries and / or recommended to be done by the purchaser at the time of planting where I live in hot North Florida.

My understanding, and welcome correction/further clarification from those more in the know, is that doing so helps balance top growth with disturbed (and often somewhat damaged) root growth. Any roots found to be circling in the pot when removed need to be cut, some of the smaller hair roots don't always make it through planting, and depending on how long the tree has been growing and how tall it is, it's not unusual for the top growth to already be a bit out of balance in comparison to the pot bound roots.

Balancing the top to the roots ability to support helps the tree survive the stress of planting as well as promoting both new top growth followed by root growth again once somewhat balanced.

Hope what I've shared makes sense and doesn't prove too off the mark.

Should add I know Chestnut Hill is based out of Florida, though not sure if all the saplings are grown there before shipping... if so, guessing they prune due to what I outlined in the post above and especially because they have trees being sent out to different climates and likely are pruning to maximize survival rates for trees that end up being planted in what might be less than ideal conditions. Just a guess, and again welcome correction!

You got a nice deal on your deer candy! I waited until they went on clearance and got one for $10.50. Mine was not cut at the central leader. It was tall but it got bent badly. I put a tube around it and I think that will straighten it out. It hasn't grown any since planting a couple months ago so time will tell.

What you stated makes sense bigbendmarine and I have heard about balancing roots to top growth, but they didn't do it to the Deer Magnet persimmon, Dr Deer Pear, Thanksgiving Pear, or chestnut trees that I bought that were all taller. I initially thought that something had happened to just that persimmon, but then when I saw it again at another store and on the video, it had to be intentional what they were doing to just these types of trees. I have always heard to protect the central leader. Chestnut Hill is a large nursery that has been around for a while, so I am sure they know what they are doing. While I don't have near the experience Chestnut Hill does, I would trim limbs off before trimming the central leader to balance the roots and top growth. I am happy as long as it grows and so far it has done that just sitting in my driveway.

You got a nice deal on your deer candy!

I am always happy when I can buy a good tree for cheap. The Deer Magnet persimmon I bought has one fruit hanging on it in the driveway. I am really impressed with the hardiness of the two different types of pears. I had the opportunity to buy several more of the 7-gallon trees for $6, but I held off because I wasn't sure how they would handle being repotted and not planted until winter. The ones I did buy have grown quite a bit and I look forward to seeing them take off once I get them planted.