These are mine

Native Hunter

5 year old buck +
I do most of my planting for the deer, but I claim the first chestnuts that drop for myself. They can wait for the later ones and snack on a turnip in the meantime.

I marked my territory around the tree today and packing heat just in case there is any dispute....

Those are some good sized chestnuts, can't wait for when I can pick my own, hopefully someday.

Those are some good sized chestnuts, can't wait for when I can pick my own, hopefully someday.

I was impressed with the size of these too. This tree is a seedling Chinese.

Actually the second picture is another tree near the one that has already dropped. That one bur you see is the only one on that tree that has started to open. The tree that is dropping has already dropped 2/3 of its nuts.

Love to see your progress pics Native! Your place is really coming together.
Would love to see some trail cam pics of deer feeding on your chestnuts! Not to many guys have producing trees that can entertain us with these pics:)

Would love to see some trail cam pics of deer feeding on your chestnuts! Not to many guys have producing trees that can entertain us with these pics:)

Thanks Jordan. Except for that one tree at the edge where most have already fallen, the other trees haven't been mowed around since early spring and the weeds are really tall. It might be hard to get any pictures in that grown up mess. But, next week I will look and see if there is any place a cam might be placed.

That's nice to see.Great reward right there!

Good stuff Native !! Those chestnuts look tasty. How's the rest of your mast trees / crops shaping up for fall ?? ( apples, pears, acorns, crabs, persimmons, etc. )

Good stuff Native !! Those chestnuts look tasty. How's the rest of your mast trees / crops shaping up for fall ?? ( apples, pears, acorns, crabs, persimmons, etc. )

Thanks Bowsnbucks. This has been a strange year for soft mass. We have apples and pears but they are small and knotty looking. I think this primarily occurred because of a late freeze when the fruit was forming. Then after that we went into an early drought, followed by too much rain and now into another drought at the end of the year.

I noticed the Moonglow pears yesterday and they were about 2/3 the normal size, and the crabapples nearby looked the same way. I haven't walked to the persimmon trees for a long time, but I can usually see that orange glow from a distance, and I didn't notice it yesterday.

How are things shaping up in your area?

Jordan, I wasn't busy this afternoon, so I stomped down some weeds and placed a cam near a tree that has just started dropping. First pic below is what I found under the tree. Second pic is what it looks like out in there right now.

If my stomping around doesn't keep them from coming maybe we can see some chestnut eating. But there are several other trees there so they don't have to come to this one. I will check in a week or two weeks.

^^^^^I'm looking forward to this one!
Tks NH

Yo Native !! Our apple, crab and pear trees are doing well. We have the first 4 pears on a Kieffer that was planted a year ago. Pear trees grow fast vertically !! The apples that are older ( 15 to 50[?] ) are LOADED. Some of our younger - 3 yrs. - apples and crabs have some apples. Trees that young I snipped off all but 2 or 3 apples so the tree could grow. The one All-Winter-Hangover crab we got from SLN had about 4 doz. apples on it, but I thinned it down to about 8 to see how they turn out/hang/drop. Had 3 Centennial crabapples for the first time. They're excellent eating. One Goldrush tree has 3 apples on it - I'll try one in late October.

We can't really grow persimmons at camp - too cold, soil not right, too far north ?? We have no chestnuts either, yet - although we may plant some Chinese. We are surrounded by miles of red, white, and chestnut oaks, so we have some acorns every year. Some years are booms for acorns, some years pretty thin. Thin years are the food plot years - bow hunting the plots you see a lot more deer in & out of plots. Big years for acorns - much less food plot use, in daylight hours. They still come to plots at night, but no use for hunting. Hawthorns are packed with red berries as usual. They're a big draw for grouse especially, but also turkeys.

It looks like you have something chomping at your chestnut tree. It'll be interesting to see what's coming in to it. Good luck on the pix !!