The trouble with tree tubes

DJN

5 year old buck +
Headed over to the farm today and had a couple tree tubes off their stakes. Didn't know if I should blame the recent storms, someone, or something. Luckily I caught one of the perps on trail cam. This is why we can't have nice things...

ezgif.com-optimize (2).gif

Headed over to the farm today and had a couple tree tubes off their stakes. Didn't know if I should blame the recent storms, someone, or something. Luckily I caught one of the perps on trail cam. This is why we can't have nice things...

View attachment 50505
Maybe wrap some electrical tape around the tube and stake in two places , I've done that with a few of mine .

Reactions: DJN
Thats one of the reasons I don't like conduit for stakes. I had a couple broke off over the years but I have put out a bunch of tubes but only use on oaks.

Thats one of the reasons I don't like conduit for stakes. I had a couple broke off over the years but I have put out a bunch of tubes but only use on oaks.
I haven’t had any issues with conduit breaking (yet), but they definitely allow the zip ties to slide even when cinched down as tight as possible. I have around 150 or so tubes out, and that is one of my only real complaints. I had a handful demolished by raccoons tearing them down and chewing through them (guessing to get to wasp nests). That seems to occur in late fall for the most part.

And don’t use bamboo. All the experienced tubers said not to, but I went with the cheapest route I could find… and had to replace them the next year or so when they rot off at ground level. Lessons learned.

We have found that the damn deer will even due that to a single bamboo stake supporting a tree at times. Luckily they are usually 12" tall pines and they dont seem to bother the trees much, but they will go down the row and knock down several stakes in a row.

I used the treated stakes from tree pro and they worked better than anything I tried,No slipping like on conduit.I had probably 500 tubes out over the years and did a bunch of testing for the state to get them on the cost share list. I averaged 74% success after 2 years.Thats as long as the state did the survey.This was on oaks and walnuts.The walnuts didn't like and the oaks did great.

I use those orange fiberglass driveway markers for staking tree tube. They are cheap and the work well. I like the fact that they aren't so ridgid and allow your trees to move a little in the wind. I think this keep trees from becoming brittle and breaking once you remove the tubes.

I have to use T posts and then I put about 3' diameter 5' utility fence around that wired to a t post as well for both the eating and destruction aspects.

I have to use T posts and then I put about 3' diameter 5' utility fence around that wired to a t post as well for both the eating and destruction aspects.
I have a handful of apples and pears at the house that I did just that with. Zero issues going that route besides a bit more investment. Also have 15 or so in tubes there that haven’t been touched. Little lower deer numbers at the house vs the farm.

I thought about just running in a screw just above the top zip tie (leave a 1/4” or so stick out to act as a stop) to keep them from sliding on the conduit.

I have tried tubing fruit trees and either I got mildew or I didn't like the way they grew.I fence all my fruit trees now but I may try a few again.

I have done something similar but used remesh from menards, a few years ago the rolls were only like $110 and would do 10-11 trees.

I have tried tubing fruit trees and either I got mildew or I didn't like the way they grew.I fence all my fruit trees now but I may try a few again.

I have cut holes in the tube to allow for more airflow. That is one of the downsides of tree tubes, too much moisture and soft tree stem.

Plantra tree tube system seems to have most of these figure out. Tubes have holes in them for circulation. They have a perforated side to tear off of a tree, or tear as tree gets too big. Their stakes are fiberglass and flex to allow tree to not be too spindly.

I know nothing is perfect, but I have been very happy with the systems so far.

Plantra tree tube system seems to have most of these figure out. Tubes have holes in them for circulation. They have a perforated side to tear off of a tree, or tear as tree gets too big. Their stakes are fiberglass and flex to allow tree to not be too spindly.

I know nothing is perfect, but I have been very happy with the systems so far.
I have Tree Pro products - both the Miracle tubes, which come as a whole tube with air holes in the upper half as well as a light perforation that will split if tree trunk fills the tube; as well as the Tree Pro protector, which comes as a flat piece that use zip ties to hold closed and also have air holes punched in the upper half. I’ve been happy with the Miracle tubes, and satisfied with the Protectors - they seem to want to open up a bit in between the zip tie locations. The Miracle tubes go on much quicker. Might not be ideal down the road when the trees are bigger with branches above the tube, but I don’t get much inside the tube I’m needing to clean out (besides some leaves on very small trees and I can easily slide the tube up to clean so far). No mildew issues with either type.

I used tubes on 10 of my trees this year for the first as an experiment . I had to give it a shot out of curiosity .

I have used alot of tubes and on my farm if it's fruit gets cage and if an oak or other hardwood gets tree pro tube

It’s interesting for me to read this thread. In my area it’s just such common practice to tube every tree. Completely foreign concept to me to not tube a tree. I have to believe that without tubes every single tree I have would be girdled by jackrabbits, especially on a winter like this where food is scarce. They’ve been very hard on even my cedars this winter.

They say to shoot the dumb ones, dont want those genes passed down...........

• Haha
I currently have about 200 trees tubed on my property….crabapple whips I started from seed, some Red Osier dogwood whips but mostly oaks. I have also had deer go right down a row of tubed trees and knock down 4 or 5 in a row. I use and reuse the same rebar stakes I purchased 25 years ago and for the past several years I have been using and reusing metal conduit stakes. Yes, the stakes bend when a deer or bear knocks them over but I dont think any of the seeding trees have ever been damaged. I just straighten out the rebar or conduit stake and slip the tube over the tree again And secure it with the zip ties. I do have to put a new zip tie on the tube from time to time but that is no big deal.

I use rebar stakes some 1/2” and some 3/8” and also have few on 5/8” copper coated ground rods. For a bit rockier ground the 5/8 ground rod or 1/2” rebar is best. I bought a couple hundred of the 1/2” rebar one year and the next it made such price jump I bought enough 3/8 rebar for 300 more then I have the rest on 5/8 ground rod and a very few on T-posts. I don’t care to use T-posts for tubes and have hundreds of used ones laying around. I do use use them for cages.