The Sweet Clover Thread

I’m really anxious to see the YSC and rod plot this weekend. The curious is killing me, especially because it’s drought season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The SC in town is fully bloomed out now. Hope to find the same at my place but a few feet taller.

b277fd53d19ff10a4a9238fa8271f24a.jpg

The new blend is really starting to look good. It's looking good that I've got the blend and the biomass I was hoping for. You really need to look at these pics on a computer screen to appreciate the colors.

1.jpg

The colors of the sweet clover and hairy vetch are really popping. I was surprised at how patchy my hairy vetch was. I'm not hurt about it, I wish it wasn't in there.

2.jpg

I walked out into this to take these pictures, and it was absolute chaos with bugs out there. I bet I saw at least 6 different kinds of bees/wasps out there. The dragon flies were going bananas working over the canopy. No mosquitoes, but I think that's more to do with the lack of rain. I've got orange and yellow monarch looking butterflies now too.

3.jpg

I had thought the plot just wasn't going to canopy enough to keep the sun off the soil. It's getting there now. The rye didn't tiller as much as I'd hoped, but the SC and HV are filling in those gaps now.

4.jpg

I'm really enjoying watching this evolve. I'm gonna throw and mow into this the first saturday in August. It'll be much the same blend: SC, rye, collards, japanese millet, flax. I'm probably going to need some rain if it's going to grow though. It's getting dry up here.

5.jpg

I am very optimistic this blend holds the key to a zero input (other than seed) throw and mow with the ability to get brassicas up in the fall. We ain't there yet, but this is the closest I think I've ever been. Can it keep the weeds out for years? I don't know. Will it all play together when I restart it in August? I don't know yet. But it's fun to watch happen!

This plot is loaded with bumble bees and bees, and wasps of all sorts. I checked my rye heads for aphids, and most had zero, and a few had 1-2. I think those aphids are getting eaten by wasps about as fast as they materialize. That's a big measuring stick for me far as system health goes. If the rye heads are covered in aphids, a predator is missing.

1.jpg

Most of the SC is 5' tall. There are some flyers out there like this that are already 6' tall.

2.jpg

I made it to full sun blackout before it ran out of moisture. I don't think it'll matter if it doesn't rain between now and mowing in 6 weeks.

3.jpg

It's like nighttime where there are clumps of hairy Marvin (vetch).

5.jpg

6.jpg

Try being a weed under that hoping for light or nutrients.

7.jpg

I see the vetch is podding like crazy. That could be the one thing I lose this plot to over time. It wouldn't be all bad I suppose. We'll have to see how it evolves.

8.jpg

^ ^ ^ ^ That's a heckuva plot, SD!!

Very nice! Are you seeing the deer utilize the plot SD? My Rye/Balansa/Red clover plots look just like that and the deer are in and out of it like crazy. They are bedding in it a ton also.

Very nice! Are you seeing the deer utilize the plot SD? My Rye/Balansa/Red clover plots look just like that and the deer are in and out of it like crazy. They are bedding in it a ton also.

They’re chewing off the chicory bolts, otherwise there’s no sign of deer use. I haven’t walked the whole thing to check for beds either.

It’s not intended for deer use now. This is all prep for fall plotting. Right now I just need biomass, diversity, and to keep the weeds down.

Nope, I get it. Mine was planted for mostly the same reason, I was just surprised how much the deer were utilizing the plots at this stage of growth.

That spread is screaming for honey bee colonies

Its time to implement that soil health principle of "livestock"

bill

If it could get me bear depredation tags, I’d have a dozen boxes ordered before sun up.

Has anyone used YSC in the past and had a bad experience that led you to not use it again?

I'm trying to keep my expectations in check. I've got very high hopes right now that this will finish and transition to the throw and mow restart in August really well.

My problem was it was so thick deer stopped using my plot as they really couldn't walk through it. And with no large equipment I had to go in 1st gear with the lawn mower on highest setting. Still got stuck at times and could only cut half the width of the mower. Then had to go back over it a second time to get a decent cut. But a good problem to have.

Here are some pics. Along with the sweet clover is red clover, rye, and an assortment of weeds. Two before pics, after mowing once on July 11th, and after mowing the second time. Then a pic on August 4th showing how well the red clover grew after mowing.
ab8705aa0f24fe22a177eeeeaf6aa9f8.jpg
a195f7f2ab2815980db03f32d3ab5055.jpg
f6b09b51ae3815c2e8a02061e62b4c81.jpg
855e99646271234e7e43fc2ce291d9c2.jpg
be00ccbced8957c2c85205de9c43248d.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

That's great feedback @Barndog56. I'm renting a JD 3038 with a rotary mower to mow my whole property. I'm a little nervous that a tractor that small will be able to run a rotary mower through something like that as well. I may have to cut it about 2' high and then come back a second time and drop if to the ground and finish it. I'm hoping the rye being dry may help that chew up more easily.

I'm also a little worried that this rye/SC blend may have choked off my chicory and plantain. I've got them both out on the edge where they can get some light, but I have no idea if it's alive under the thick stuff and will be able to emerge after mowing.

That's great feedback @Barndog56. I'm renting a JD 3038 with a rotary mower to mow my whole property. I'm a little nervous that a tractor that small will be able to run a rotary mower through something like that as well. I may have to cut it about 2' high and then come back a second time and drop if to the ground and finish it. I'm hoping the rye being dry may help that chew up more easily.

I'm also a little worried that this rye/SC blend may have choked off my chicory and plantain. I've got them both out on the edge where they can get some light, but I have no idea if it's alive under the thick stuff and will be able to emerge after mowing.
Our little 1025 and 48" rotary cutter laughs at stuff like that. I wouldn't worry about it.

That sweet clover, rye and vetch combo looks really good. It looks like it could be a nice combo for small game and bedding cover. I have a few buckthorn patches that I'm trying to wipe out and then replace with something beneficial for pheasants, rabbits and deer. I might have to order some seed and give it a shot.

That sweet clover, rye and vetch combo looks really good. It looks like it could be a nice combo for small game and bedding cover. I have a few buckthorn patches that I'm trying to wipe out and then replace with something beneficial for pheasants, rabbits and deer. I might have to order some seed and give it a shot.

It’s a powerhouse for height and biomass, that’s for sure! I had some sedge, curly dock, and thistle trying to punch thru, and I can’t find them now.