The Sandbox

Bur - I'm anxious to get some Chestnut crabs next year to try. I think next year we might get first fruit on 2 of our 3 Chestnut trees. From all you guys have said about them - I can hardly wait. Dolgo's should put on some good size loads next year as well.

Foley Food Processor that was probably my Grandmother's.IMG_8185.JPG

I think the modern version was in the Mill's fleet flier this week.

Bur - I'm anxious to get some Chestnut crabs next year to try. I think next year we might get first fruit on 2 of our 3 Chestnut trees. From all you guys have said about them - I can hardly wait. Dolgo's should put on some good size loads next year as well.
I wonder if a certain amount of chill hours are needed with chestnut crab, like with honeycrisp to get their proper flavor.

I think it is Woodduck that says apple cider changes in flavor with the harvest time of the chestnut crab. So does the apple sauce and the later sauce is better.

I will keep that in mind stu, since we are loaded up with orchards both here and across the river in LaCrecent, MN.

$hit happens!
IMG_8190.JPG

Oh Snap!

How old is that?

I just found it yesterday. Reed canary grass kept that area hidden for awhile. I imagine it has been 6 or 8 weeks since I walked real close to there.
There can not be too many predators around as the carcass does not seem to be touched.

I was on the roof to repair the satellite dish and snapped a few pictures.
I need a deer stand up there.

IMG_8195.JPG IMG_8191.JPG

Bur - It looks like you have a real good variety of stuff growing all around your place. View from the roof is pretty cool !!!

I found the first new scrape of the season. Seldom see them this early.
It was under a flowering crab and not far from larger apples.
IMG_8230.JPG

Or maybe an old scrape that I never knew was there.

Looks good Art hope a forkhorn made that for you;)

I found this apple on a tree on public hunting ground. The tree was growing alongside a road and a creek.
IMG_8235.JPG

Not a bad looking apple, whatever it is. Did you try it ?? Collect any seeds ??

Sheesh having a property like that & not having much for deer is mind boggling...looks great Bur.

It tasted like a haralson that is not quite ripe. I did not collect any seed.
What does wolf river look like?