The perfect blind?

Talking about blinds and their construction is what I was going for. ;)

^ Sounds pretty cool Bill. I'm not too sure where a person may end up buying the sandwich panels. There are a few makers out there if you do a google search. Most of the door manufacturers have the ability to make sandwich panels. I'd have to do some shopping.

Some of the best panel tech came from Winnebago Industries during the 70's. They made most of their sidewalls for RV's that way.....and made lots of pickup campers in that way too. I had fooled around with that tech....and had a pinch roll for a time. I think most of the door companies use a vacuum press to bond things together these days (?) I saw where multiple saw kerfs allowed the panels to have radiuses and "seamless" corners. I kinda liked that tech. I'd share what I know with anyone wanting into the biz. I am retired. :D

I know a couple of guys in Iowa....that were x winnebago engineers. For a time they made 1" sandwich panels.....and I might first talk with them.

Don't let custom aluminum extrusion dies get in your way.....those are quite affordable if you have the quantity to go with the plan. I think I could still help in that area......but my connections are becoming ancient.

Last edited:
I have built and hunted from both a 6x6 and 8x8 elevated blind. These are outside dimensions. Construction is with 2x4 walls, insulated with siding and paneling on the inside. The windows are 36x24 sliders, double pane insulated windows. The stands we have range from 12 - 16 feet off ground. We use steel siding. Four window. Access is through a trap door in the floor. Not cheap. But should last a lifetime. Buddy heater keeps it nice and toasty. I like the 6x6 for one person in a big comfy office chair. I've hunted two people in 6x6, but it is easy to bump each other with big office chairs. The 8x8 is big and works good for two people. It is hard for one person to watch out all sides. Most of my blind hunting is with two people so I prefer the bigger blind. Even enough room to lay down and take a nap.

The blind is basically built in the garage then taken apart and assembled in the field.

Last edited:
Seems like 8x8 would put you a good distance (maybe too far) from the sides.

Being able to string a hammock in the spring/summer would be nice though.

8x8 is too big for one person to cover watching all side. It is nice to have extra room to stand up move and shoot a bow out of the window. Here are some pictures of on 8x8 being built. For one person 6x6 is probably ideal.

Attachments

• IMG_0701.JPG
    IMG_0701.JPG
    896.8 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0667.JPG
    IMG_0667.JPG
    915.7 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0702.JPG
    IMG_0702.JPG
    825 KB · Views: 45
This is a 5x7 and is by far my favorite stand.
Great for one or two hunters.