The insanity that has taken over .....

Turkey Creek

5 year old buck +
Things are so unbelievably bizarre when it come to marketing, gimmicks and take the public for every penny you can right now on a huge list of products it is crazy. I got this pop up ad on Facebook today about Wildtree.co they are partnering with Dr. Deer (James Kroll) for the ultimate zone 8-10 wildlife orchard package. For a $1050 (financing available !!! .... seriously ) you can get roughly 10 trees that are going to fall well short of any "ultimate" wildlife package, as far as I am concerned it is laughable. These are for @3' tall potted seedlings shipped to your door.

I started a thread the other day on a different forum (fruit growing) about Starks running an ad last week where you can pay roughly $60 for a common, not under patent, bare root tree, 18" -36" tall tree plus shipping (for me that started at $20 for a single tree) all in all I could have bought a Reliance peach tree for delivery in SPRING 2022 for $85! WTF

Last edited:
Capitalism works. If people won't pay those prices, the prices will drop. If people pay those prices, then the sellers will make some really good money. More power to them. I sure won't pay that, but obviously companies feel that plenty of others will.

I can tell the newbies here that have been given the habitat marketing gospel koolaid from Facebook Habitat thread BOB seed, Morse trees, etc.. They come on here looking for a quick solution to a complex problem or ask a question about how to do something and 5-6 experienced guys here will give them sound advice. They then argue with the recommendations and say they are going to do it their way.

Lots of folks want simple solutions to complex things. Magic bean solutions that are hyped attract people who are followers, not thinkers.

Last edited:
Capitalism works. If people won't pay those prices, the prices will drop. If people pay those prices, then the sellers will make some really good money. More power to them. I sure won't pay that, but obviously companies feel that plenty of others will.
That was kind of my basis for the thread on the fruit growing website. How many people are willing to pay that price? There is a much bigger number of people on that site and they range from a little experience to a lot. I would venture that the majority on this site aren't going to shell out that kind of money on a small number of small trees.

I would venture to guess that most lands in zone 8-10 already have persimmon, beauty berry, and viburnum. Liveoak is very susceptable to ice, which is fairly common in zone 8. Bartlett pears are available for $29 at most places that sell trees. The two mexican oaks and the dr deer pair are not locally available - and there are probably better oak species available from all the state forestry commissions - for dirt cheap. That leaves only the Dr Deer Pear if a person just thought they couldnt live without it.

This whole last year has been crazy. What was supposed to be a year when many people lost their jobs and were living on hard times, prices went through the roof. Camping trailers and boats sold out. OSB at $50 a sheet. They only year in my 50 some years of managing for wildlife that the feed and seed stores ran out of both wheat seed and feed corn. I had to use some BOB seed because I couldnt buy wheat. Been a crazy year

I can tell the newbies here that have been given the habitat marketing gospel from Facebook Habitat thread BOB seed, Morse trees, etc.. They come on here looking for a quick solution to a complex problem or ask a question about how to do something and 5-6 experienced guys here will give them sound advice. They then argue with the recommendations and say they are going to do it their way.

Lots of folks want simple solutions to complex things. Magic bean solutions that are hyped attract people who are followers, not thinkers.
I am so thankful for all the experts on here, especially the fruit tree guys. I went from knowing nothing to being helped along on so many levels and the advice gained has been so valuable. I guess it just takes a bit of being coachable and wanting to learn, not just throwing out our opinions as straight gospel (which I think we can all be guilty of from time to time).

That was kind of my basis for the thread on the fruit growing website. How many people are willing to pay that price? There is a much bigger number of people on that site and they range from a little experience to a lot. I would venture that the majority on this site aren't going to shell out that kind of money on a small number of small trees.

TC ... you do understand that sometimes it comes down to availability of trees. Folks who do not understand the fruit tree game (best stock, best root stock, best variety for your area, etc.) the suppliers who provide the nest are typically out of stock fast ... like you!

I was new to the fruit tree game several years ago and it is intimidating to try and buy the right stuff ... the more you learn, the more difficult it becomes and the less you seem to know. This is the first year I bought from Cummins and I was overloaded with too much info, but just decided to take the plunge. I am still learning a lot and still do not understand many things regarding stuff like root stock selection.

As I stated above, Magic bean solutions that are hyped with can't miss simple solutions (BOB seed, instant bedding, sugar tree apples, etc.) attract a certain audience. I learned the hard way early on buying apples that stated Zone versus trying to understand rootstock.

Maybe you should come up with a BOB apple tree :emoji_grin:

Plus, to Turkey Creek's credit, he's been generous and helped teach me and others on these forums how to graft and grow our own trees. As far as I know, he's the only tree seller here who answers questions and helps us and possibly hurts his own business while doing so. I don't need to buy anything right now, and I have 41 growing in my nursery, but I'd look to his website 1st when the time comes.

Thanks for the kind words guys. I wasnt really worried about the competition or that I am somehow hurting my business on here by answering questions. LOL In all honesty we cant grow enough trees fast enough to meet our current demand. I dont see that changing. We try to increase production every year, but word of mouth is spreading our reputation faster than these tired "old" bodies can grow more trees! We have markets that are asking for trees that we aren't able to provide yet. No BOB apple trees or labels in our future!

I just cant believe the levels that folks have stooped to try and cash in on the current world situation. Sure I believe in capitalism and I am all for it! If folks can be convinced that $85 - $100 is the new norm for a fruit tree then who am I to complain! LOL

PS>>>>> We are raising our prices next year, but I promise no one will need to secure financing to purchase them! LOL

It is ridiculous that some people take advantage of others. Hopefully no one is dumb enough to pay those prices.

On a side note.....I don't think Stark is anything like the Stark of old. Last couple purchases I made from them were very disappointing, my last order trees looked weak and I lost over half of them in a two year period.

On a side note.....I don't think Stark is anything like the Stark of old. Last couple purchases I made from them were very disappointing, my last order trees looked weak and I lost over half of them in a two year period.

I am having the same experience with them. Trees planted are extremely slow to put on growth that I planted in 2018. A number have died, 2 Honeycrisps i planted last year ij spring are dead this spring. They are in the same orchard that has 15 other healthy trees.

I contacted them to learn about the root stock and they would not share.

On to a more reliable nursery that has a better track record.

Things are so unbelievably bizarre when it come to marketing, gimmicks and take the public for every penny you can right now on a huge list of products it is crazy. I got this pop up ad on Facebook today about Wildtree.co they are partnering with Dr. Deer (James Kroll) for the ultimate zone 8-10 wildlife orchard package. For a $1050 (financing available !!! .... seriously ) you can get roughly 10 trees that are going to fall well short of any "ultimate" wildlife package, as far as I am concerned it is laughable. These are for @3' tall potted seedlings shipped to your door.

I started a thread the other day on a different forum (fruit growing) about Starks running an ad last week where you can pay roughly $60 for a common, not under patent, bare root tree, 18" -36" tall tree plus shipping (for me that started at $20 for a single tree) all in all I could have bought a Reliance peach tree for delivery in SPRING 2022 for $85! WTF

Partnering with Dr. James Kroll? How does one get to be a doctor of Deer? $100 for 3 foot tree, is a scam.

Partnering with Dr. James Kroll? How does one get to be a doctor of Deer? $100 for 3 foot tree, is a scam.

You can be a Doctor, and YOU can be a Doctor!........ and YOOOOU!!!! can be a Doctor!!!

My zone 4 package is cheaper ... na na naaaa!

Deer Orchard Starter Pack | Zone 4​

PriceQuantity
$960 $8640

You were very right "Laughable" is the word.

Bartlett Pear – 3x I paid about a 1.25 a tree for rootstock bartlett's $3.75

Shumard Oak – 2x not sure how cheap I could get this one $?

Northern Red Oak – 1x Free free free I could walk into the woods and dig that... so $0

Bur Oak – 2x Free free free..... I have bur oak all over so $0

Arrowwood Viburnum – 2x Last order I paid about a $1 each so 2$

American Persimmon – 2x maybe a $1.45 hell I will round up to $2 bucks ea. so $4

So I am at about $9.75 plus the shumard oak x2 not bad for a would be $864 dollar bill..... I can buy a really nice shovel for that price and pruner for doing cuttings.

PHD=Piled High and Deep