Texas new open carry law - starts Jan 2016

Native Hunter

5 year old buck +
Heard about this and found the following link for FAQs:

http://www.opencarrytexas.org/faq.html

They say many other states already has this or something similar. I really wasn't aware of that. Anyone live in an open carry state?

WI is open carry.

I am starting the process to get my permit. It takes at least six months and most likely the gun will have to stay in my house or possibly the truck to and from camp. Our laws suck. I am trying for a carry conceal but my chances of getting it are slim.

I was under the impression kentucky is open carry? See it a lot there and have been told by word of mouth.

Indiana doesn't have law stating it is illegal last i knew, and i on occasion see open carry. I always conceal if not in woods

I am starting the process to get my permit. It takes at least six months and most likely the gun will have to stay in my house or possibly the truck to and from camp. Our laws suck. I am trying for a carry conceal but my chances of getting it are slim.

What determines if you get a concealed carry permit?

NY is County specific even though it's a NY permit, each County determines approval. The County I'm in you just apply for carry and there's no problems you just get it. Next County over you can only get a target permit and you have to have that for a year or more then you can apply for carry.

I was under the impression kentucky is open carry? See it a lot there and have been told by word of mouth.

Indiana doesn't have law stating it is illegal last i knew, and i on occasion see open carry. I always conceal if not in woods

Well it turns out that you are correct. It changed sometime after I got my concealed carry permit, and I didn't even know it. I just read something that said schools and colleges were the only places exempt. It's strange I don't see anyone doing it. Actually, I like having the right, but I personally think most of the time I would rather carry concealed myself.

I recently received a cc permit in il when taking the class they went through the prohibited areas, just about anywhere you would want to carry, the bar, church, all hospitals, all government buildings, public transportation, professional sporting events, schools, day care and any permitted festival or parade. Basically I can carry in my car and shopping with my wife.

Some of you know this but my residence bounces from NJ to FL.

In NJ the attorney general "May" issue concealed carry permits but it hasn't happened even once in my lifetime. This is how they get around being taken to federal court. The law says May so technically their not denying everyone.

Upon moving to FL I took my CC coarse and had a permit in 11 days. I can leave my house in NJ with my pistol locked in a case on my way to MO.

Once I hit Delaware I can legally carry all the way there except for Illinois. It's nuts, we need a national carry law.

Don't think I'd open carry though, it's better to keep them guessing :). But it would be a deterrent.

I recently received a cc permit in il when taking the class they went through the prohibited areas, just about anywhere you would want to carry, the bar, church, all hospitals, all government buildings, public transportation, professional sporting events, schools, day care and any permitted festival or parade. Basically I can carry in my car and shopping with my wife.

I think you're out on the mall also.

You can count out any business with these signs. Which is a majority around here.
o-GUN-BAN-facebook.jpg

You can open carry in Nebraska, not concealed without a permit.

You can count out any business with these signs. Which is a majority around here.
o-GUN-BAN-facebook.jpg

We have these in FL also. I ignore them. If my gun is truly concealed who is going to know? If I need it, it's the old rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

The only place I head that sign is the airport and the post office. Fefe's pet grooming and the pizza shop can kiss my ........

Being able to protect yourself and family is great. What I fear happening is the psycho-hothead that is carrying pulling his gun over everything that wrinkles him. I've worked around a few guys that were ready to throw down over ANYTHING. If anyone made eye contact with them, you'd hear " you got a F-ing problem ? " Those types can get permits too, and God help us if one of those whack-jobs ( or several around the country ) starts playing Billy the Kid. Then we'll ALL get the leash tightened. Just as there are some cops who should never be cops and be carrying, there are regular citizens who should never get a permit. The few can spoil it for the many and draw GOBS of attention to the good folks. ( good gun owners )

What determines if you get a concealed carry permit?
In my county I have to lay out a case to the judge why I would need a conceal. Typically it has to be job related, work in bad area, transport cash, that sort of thing. Then the judge takes it under consideration and tells you what permit you can have or even no permit at all. After Sandyhook, my county Judge thought he would take things into his own hands and stopped hearing permit applications. It back logged the system for months. They finally put an end to that BS and now the process takes about 6 months. Like Buckly said, one county over and everyone gets approved.

In my county I have to lay out a case to the judge why I would need a conceal. Typically it has to be job related, work in bad area, transport cash, that sort of thing. Then the judge takes it under consideration and tells you what permit you can have or even no permit at all. After Sandyhook, my county Judge thought he would take things into his own hands and stopped hearing permit applications. It back logged the system for months. They finally put an end to that BS and now the process takes about 6 months. Like Buckly said, one county over and everyone gets approved.

So you could have a permit and be illegal just by crossing the county line?

Being able to protect yourself and family is great. What I fear happening is the psycho-hothead that is carrying pulling his gun over everything that wrinkles him. I've worked around a few guys that were ready to throw down over ANYTHING. If anyone made eye contact with them, you'd hear " you got a F-ing problem ? " Those types can get permits too, and God help us if one of those whack-jobs ( or several around the country ) starts playing Billy the Kid. Then we'll ALL get the leash tightened. Just as there are some cops who should never be cops and be carrying, there are regular citizens who should never get a permit. The few can spoil it for the many and draw GOBS of attention to the good folks. ( good gun owners )

That's all very true. Can't speak for other states but that guy doesn't want a CC permit in FL. If you even mention you have a weapon and God forbid you brandish it or let its profile be seen, you're in deep dodo. Good instructors stress the crap out of that. My instructor spend 1/2 the coarse on safty and it seemed like the other 1/2 explaining how life as you know it is over if you ever un conceal it.

Guys like that get weeded out pretty fast. There are always going to be those who slip through the cracks no matter what weapon. Car, knife, baseball bat.

This is why the laws should be federal. And I'm normally as far as you can get from giving the Feds more control of anything.

So you could have a permit and be illegal just by crossing the county line?
The permit is good for all of NY State except NYC. The issuing of permits is done locally and up to that specific judge. I think it's the same as PA. Luckily, my County judge is an avid outdoorsman and all around good guy. If you've got some reason that prohibits you from getting one that's different, but all you have to do here is put down you want it for protection and there is no problem getting a permit.

Bill - What does the law in FLA. say if you do need to draw your gun and fire ( or not fire ) just to protect yourself / ward off an attacker ?? If just exposing it means you're arrested and charged with a crime - isn't that basically the same as " you can't have a gun ?? " I'm just curious because the way you described the situation, it almost sounds like even exposing it - YOU BECOME THE CRIMINAL. If that's the case .... that law sucks. ( I'm pre-supposing a bona-fide reason to draw the gun ....... say, a mugging or assault. )

Bill - What does the law in FLA. say if you do need to draw your gun and fire ( or not fire ) just to protect yourself / ward off an attacker ?? If just exposing it means you're arrested and charged with a crime - isn't that basically the same as " you can't have a gun ?? " I'm just curious because the way you described the situation, it almost sounds like even exposing it - YOU BECOME THE CRIMINAL. If that's the case .... that law sucks. ( I'm pre-supposing a bona-fide reason to draw the gun ....... say, a mugging or assault. )

FL has the stand your ground rule and the castle doctrine.

Stand your ground means if someone is truly putting "you" in fear of your life you can shoot. I.e. You feel otherwise you would die. Or the lawyers wet dream "I fear for my life". And Or your family.

Castle doctrine means if someone enters your home with an intent to do harm or to steal you can shoot. The castle doctrine also applies to your car.

If you see a convince store being robbed you're not a cop. You can't shoot. If 2 guys are shooting it out, you can't choose sides. Because one may be under cover.

Basically it allows you to take of you and yours only. Anyone who is unarmed is on their own.

And to me unfortunately that's what it's about theses days. Take care of you and yours. The government throws those that don't to the side as a statistic and promises to help real soon if thier elected.

PS. I'm not a lawyer. Just a non paid spokesman bla bla,bla.

Last edited: