Testing out RootMaker knit bags

IkemanTx

5 year old buck +
I have had major issues the last few years keeping trees alive in containers in the 100°+ heat here in Texas. So, I have decided to do a trial run of in-ground.

I picked up a case of RootMaker’s in-ground 8” knit root containment bags. They are 8” in diameter, and about 12” deep when filled. I spent about 4 hours digging out the holes, mixing the fill 50/50 with compost, and re-filling.

I decided to direct seed acorns right into them. I hope to end up with 5 sawtooth oaks, 6 post oaks, and 7 chinkapin oaks. They are right in the flowerbed against the house so they should be easy to take care of.

If this goes well, I will probably do about 100 on the side of my parents vegetable garden next year, to take advantage of their overhead irrigation and weeding skills.

042874e338f3a849b65647664b2f742d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cool! For your environment where you don't need to start them indoors, I think they are a very inexpensive solution to root pruning. Are these the green in-ground bags that prune through constriction?

Cool! For your environment where you don't need to start them indoors, I think they are a very inexpensive solution to root pruning. Are these the green in-ground bags that prune through constriction?

Yes they are. They have a 5” version that can be put in a cinder block, but that would have had similar watering issues as the Superroots Airpots that I have had issues with 2 seasons in a row. So, I went with the 8”X12”. It probably helps the in-ground bags that my native soil at the house is 12-20” of loamy sand with a clay restrictive layer below. Although the surface dries out fairly quickly, the depth of the pot should reach good moisture throughout the season.

These will eventually be transplanted into a heavy Blackland clay, which could be an issue. But, it is definitely better than nothing. And at $4 a bag, with no other cost because the compost was homemade, it is an absolute STEAL for trees with 2.6 gallon root-pruned root balls!

I may con my father out of a few yards of his fresh cow manure compost next year for the big batch if I do it. He always builds piles after winter hay feeding and turns them until composting slows. They end up as weed free, jet black compost piles with the temps he can sustain.

@yoderjac I could definitely see these as being the transplant location from express 18 trays for the colder climate guys....

I will definitely update with my progress at the end of the season (or next season if they need a second year to fill out such a large container).

I tried a similar direct seed approach one year and critters got every nut. :( You may want to consider a hardware cloth cover?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I tried a similar direct seed approach one year and critters got every nut. :( You may want to consider a hardware cloth cover?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

We haven’t had much in the way of critters since we got our family cat... if I lose a few, I will definitely throw some hardware cloth on them though!

IKE/TX .... you should have much better success since you have avoided the biggest mistake people make in trying to grow trees from seed in containers ABOVE ground. The amount of attention required to deal with the heat/wind/dryness problem that constantly lurks in the background is unbelievable. Adequate, let alone ideal watering can be a real issue for those with little experience or the incredible amount of time required. About 8-9 years ago, I started doing essentially what you are doing - direct seeding acorns into containers in the ground - with inexpensive half gallon mike cartons .... subsequently, I have moved up to gallon milk cartons (with holes cut in the bottom 4 corners). Said simply, it is a more uniform/constant environment with regard to fluctuations in temperature/moisture. Attached are a couple of photos of bur oaks and chestnuts planted in cartons in the spring of 2014. Good luck with your project; I expect you will be very pleased with the results.2014 Bur Oaks in cartons .JPG2014 Chestnuts in cartons 2.JPG

Yes they are. They have a 5” version that can be put in a cinder block, but that would have had similar watering issues as the Superroots Airpots that I have had issues with 2 seasons in a row. So, I went with the 8”X12”. It probably helps the in-ground bags that my native soil at the house is 12-20” of loamy sand with a clay restrictive layer below. Although the surface dries out fairly quickly, the depth of the pot should reach good moisture throughout the season.

These will eventually be transplanted into a heavy Blackland clay, which could be an issue. But, it is definitely better than nothing. And at $4 a bag, with no other cost because the compost was homemade, it is an absolute STEAL for trees with 2.6 gallon root-pruned root balls!

I may con my father out of a few yards of his fresh cow manure compost next year for the big batch if I do it. He always builds piles after winter hay feeding and turns them until composting slows. They end up as weed free, jet black compost piles with the temps he can sustain.

I've got the 5" bags that are knit inside with poly outside. They are white and meant for cement blocks. They root prune by trapping roots rather than constricting them or with air.

Thanks,

Jack

@yoderjac I could definitely see these as being the transplant location from express 18 trays for the colder climate guys....

I will definitely update with my progress at the end of the season (or next season if they need a second year to fill out such a large container).

In my climate, I think acclimation would be an issue. If I'm not careful, I get sun scald and such. I typically transplant to 1 gal RB2s about the time they are going outside when our last threat of frost has passed. I have to start them in shade and gradually move them to sun. I guess one could construct some kind of shading device, but it seems easier just to move the pots. In early summer, I transplant again to 3 gal RB2s.

I think the green in-ground constriction bags would be great for anyone who plants there trees in an outdoor bed. In addition to the root pruning benefits, they would make extraction much easier.

Thanks,

Jack

Can you reuse these Rootmaker mesh bags after transplanting?

I would presume so, but I have not used the in-ground bags myself. I've only used the above ground root trapper bags and the rootbuilder containers as well as the 18s.

Thanks,

Jack

I won’t be able to re-use the knit bags. The roots grow through it, and it must be cut away.

I was able to reuse the roottrapper above ground bags. You have to split the seams to remove them but you can just staple them back together. They certainly are not as reuseable as the rootbuilder II containers. After a few seasons of restapling, they are done.

Here is a link to some removal pictures for the in-ground bags: https://rootmaker.com/harvesting-knit-fabric-and-grow-bag-removal

As I said, I have not used these myself.

I got the first little seedling up on these knit bags.

81d8af36547749fe768218ea2494dff3.jpg