All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tell me how you "hang and hunt"

Ground hunt with two stakes and a piece of burlap between. I do a lot of public hunting and hauling in gear (stands or groundblinds) far in enough to get away from pressure is a pain. Pressured deer like to look up in trees. They dont expect to find hunters on the ground - you would be suprised what you can get away with. Also public land hunting requires covering lots of ground and being flexible..stands only slow the process.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Also everyone goes to the "easy spots" or has figured out to go a long ways from the easy spots. Sometimes the overlooked spots are the best such as a tiny patch of trees or an area just off the road between designated parking areas. Those are close enough to haul in the stands.

Also everyone goes to the "easy spots" or has figured out to go a long ways from the easy spots. Sometimes the overlooked spots are the best such as a tiny patch of trees or an area just off the road between designated parking areas. Those are close enough to haul in the stands.

I agree - how many times have your heard other hunters tell about seeing that big buck crossing the road. All big bucks dont live two miles from the nearest road. The most successful public land hunter I know drives the dirt roads on public looking for numbers of tracks crossing the road. He usually sets up within 75 yards of the road. Says he never sees another hunter setting up near where he wants to hunt - they are all walking to get away from the road.

I agree - how many times have your heard other hunters tell about seeing that big buck crossing the road. All big bucks dont live two miles from the nearest road. The most successful public land hunter I know drives the dirt roads on public looking for numbers of tracks crossing the road. He usually sets up within 75 yards of the road. Says he never sees another hunter setting up near where he wants to hunt - they are all walking to get away from the road.
A buddy of mine took his largest deer and he was in the first tree off the road.

I have a lone Wolf assault with muddy climbing sticks that I bought about 15 years ago. I have shot more bucks out of that stand than all my presets combined, and I have a lot of presets. Being able to react to what the deer are actually doing instead of what you hope they will do is priceless. Every year I start out thinking I've got the perfect set ups waiting. I almost always end up realizing I need to make a move to get on the bucks and out comes the lone wolf.

I usually hang it between 18-25 feet and can be set up in 15 minutes or less. Not much more than 5 minutes to pack it up. I've been accused of being part monkey so some others may not be as comfortable doing this.
This is a picture I took of a hang and hunt set up right before I climbed in one early November morning last year
IMG_20181111_065627766.jpg

I found another one from last year that's a little easier to see with the daylight.
IMG_20181108_110953162_HDR.jpg

I have a lone Wolf assault with muddy climbing sticks that I bought about 15 years ago. I have shot more bucks out of that stand than all my presets combined, and I have a lot of presets. Being able to react to what the deer are actually doing instead of what you hope they will do is priceless. Every year I start out thinking I've got the perfect set ups waiting. I almost always end up realizing I need to make a move to get on the bucks and out comes the lone wolf.

I usually hang it between 18-25 feet and can be set up in 15 minutes or less. Not much more than 5 minutes to pack it up. I've been accused of being part monkey so some others may not be as comfortable doing this.
This is a picture I took of a hang and hunt set up right before I climbed in one early November morning last year
View attachment 26890
I'm also part monkey and love all of this. How do you like the lone wolf? I'm comparing it to the millennium m7 but haven't seen either in person yet.

I'm also part monkey and love all of this. How do you like the lone wolf? I'm comparing it to the millennium m7 but haven't seen either in person yet.
I really like my lone Wolf stand. Super solid, quiet, and light. Mine is pretty old so I'd imagine they've changed some over the years.
I'm sure there are other stands that I'd like just as much, but you only need one, so that's where I stopped.

I am going to probably diverge from most guys, but if you are starting from scratch equipment wise, I would look into Saddlehunting.

Instead of a stand you hang from a harness (like an arborist/climbing harness hybrid) as your stand. I like it with a little foot platform.

I have been hunting out of a saddle for 5 years now, and my 2 hunting buddies have over 10 years in one apiece. There are several brands on the market right now, but Tethrd and Aerohunter are the two biggest names. Tethrd is more ultralight than the aerohunter models, and is more my style.

You can hang in essentially any tree that will hold your weight. You don’t need “A” perfect tree to sit in for a setup, you can sit in “THE” perfect tree for the setup.

It has recently gained a lot of exposure with the hunting public guys adopting them for almost all tree setups the last season and a half.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Check out Blood Brothers videos. These guys hunt a lot of public land and are pretty down to earth. I found them to have good info without all the BS.

Hunting Marsh Bucks
Dan from the Marsh DVD makes his own stick and I believe his Stan is coming out soon. The hunting Beast I think is his tag on youtube.