Tell me about ozone machines?

Kev

5 year old buck +
I recently picked up a small ozone machine but have no experience with one. I was contemplating constructing a small box to hang clothes, pack, etc. , or using a tote & simply drill a hole in it. Does anyone have any experience with one? Good, bad, waste of time & money?? Thoughts?

I have 2. They are different sizes. I have small (5 gallon) totes that I transport and store my gear in. I can get about half my gear that I wear in the field in 2 containers. I run the ozone in both for about 30 minutes each at the end of the day.

Be aware, it will break down rubber products over time. Like the elastic on my long underwear is a little loose.

I have 2. They are different sizes. I have small (5 gallon) totes that I transport and store my gear in. I can get about half my gear that I wear in the field in 2 containers. I run the ozone in both for about 30 minutes each at the end of the day.

Be aware, it will break down rubber products over time. Like the elastic on my long underwear is a little loose.
It absolutely does break down rubber, and any other organic molecules. I would only run it for a few minutes at a time and as sparingly as possible. I'd rather have boots that carry a small amount of odor than to have them leak water within a year of buying them.

I have a metal locker with shelves down one side and a rod and hooks on the other half. I drilled holes so the ozone can circulate throughout. I put a boot dryer on the floor of the cabinet under the hanging clothes and keep a pair of rubber boots on it. I hang my clothes, safety harness, pack, binos, pretty much anything I have in the stand. I occasionally put my bow and quiver in for a few minutes. Been doing this for several years, with no degradation of my rubber/elastic stuff I can tell yet. I run the ozone generator about 20 minutes after every time I use the equipment/clothes.

I have a metal locker with shelves down one side and a rod and hooks on the other half. I drilled holes so the ozone can circulate throughout. I put a boot dryer on the floor of the cabinet under the hanging clothes and keep a pair of rubber boots on it. I hang my clothes, safety harness, pack, binos, pretty much anything I have in the stand. I occasionally put my bow and quiver in for a few minutes. Been doing this for several years, with no degradation of my rubber/elastic stuff I can tell yet. I run the ozone generator about 20 minutes after every time I use the equipment/clothes.
Do you notice any difference?

I’m an ozone zealot. I buy a new machine every year. They tend to eat themselves and changing plates is ok but not the same as new. But at $70 for 6000 MG unit on Amazon it doesn’t hurt. 6X8 shed off the house with 4” hose giving the machine fresh air. We hang all our clothes in there. No bows or guns. It runs 2 hours a night.

Mine does eat rubber. But not neoprene. Elastic waist bands are toast in one season. Including socks. I don’t ozone socks or underware anymore.

Will it fool a deer down wind in a soft falling thermal at 10 yards…nope

Will it help at 75 yards…I believe so. But we still hunt the wind.

Do you notice any difference?

I do. I always hunt the wind still, but when a deer comes from when you don't want, I get by with it a lot more. Or at least I think I do...

I’m an ozone zealot. I buy a new machine every year. They tend to eat themselves and changing plates is ok but not the same as new. But at $70 for 6000 MG unit on Amazon it doesn’t hurt. 6X8 shed off the house with 4” hose giving the machine fresh air. We hang all our clothes in there. No bows or guns. It runs 2 hours a night.

Mine does eat rubber. But not neoprene. Elastic waist bands are toast in one season. Including socks. I don’t ozone socks or underware anymore.

Will it fool a deer down wind in a soft falling thermal at 10 yards…nope

Will it help at 75 yards…I believe so. But we still hunt the wind.

Moisture is hard on the plates. I vacuum pack mine in plastic after season until the next season. Mine is still working well after 3 seasons, mine is an amazon $50 special.

I used a amazon one last year and I didn't have to wash cloths as often.This year I put in tub with green walnuts and the cloths seemed to really absorb the walnut odor I think it helped

I added a 6x4 closet in my shed for one as well with a clothes rack. Clothes go straight in there after washing in dedicated washer to dry then ozone then into totes/ bags. I have a Amazon special also, I even ozone my vehicle before/ after my hunts and really only drive my hunting vehicle with fresh clean clothes on from Oct- December

I think there is no doubt I get busted less than I used to but I do go to the extreme to lessen my scent. Some rubber it eats alive others doesn’t seem to bother must have something to do with the composition. I find small amounts with fresh air after to lessen the impact on rubber. I went through about 5 bino harness in 1 year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moisture is hard on the plates. I vacuum pack mine in plastic after season until the next season. Mine is still working well after 3 seasons, mine is an amazon $50 special.

Thanks for the tip. I usually put it in a big zip lock. Just vacuum sealed it in a bag.

I used one for two seasons and really could not tell much difference in the reaction of animals that came in downwind. What I did notice however was that my clothes did not need to be washed as much and did not carry typical odors after a few days of hunting, so it does work to some degree. We do not have power at our lease, so I just don't mess with it anymore.

I've been using it for at least a dozen years or so and I am 100% certain that it has reduced odor busts substantially.
It's not a magic bullet and I use it in conjunction with other odor reduction practices. No one approach is sufficient and nothing is 100% effective, but when an odor reduction regimen is implemented, odor busts can be vastly reduced or minimized.
I've not had very much damage done to rubber and elastics. I believe the key is to not store things in an O3 environment. I treat pretty much everything for no more than 20 minutes and then it gets worn or used. The elastic on all my clothes is as if it's never been exposed to O3.
My rubber boots are at least 6 years old with no degradation of the rubber. 2 things that my boots get every day...they go overnight on the boot dryer and every morning they get an O3 treatment in a tub. My ground odor busts have been reduced to virtually zero.
I like O3 units with a hose discharge so I can direct the ozone into tubs and garbage bags (great for treating the clothes prior to the day's hunt).

I honestly don't know much on how well Ozone Generators work but I would advise you use caution using them indoors. I researched this when I was considering buying one quite awhile ago when they first came out (for hunting) so my info is rusty and possibly outdated, but the EPA lists O3 as a pollutant and cautions against using them in an indoor setting. If memory serves the info I was reading was on they type of O3 generators used in houses as air purifiers and I would imagine the ones we buy for hunting are smaller than the ones used in homes. I do recall reading conflicting information on acceptable levels between what the EPA allowed and the NIH did, I think they were between 50 and 100 PPB.

I do know quite a few guys that use them in blinds or on stand and they haven't had any issues, I just wanted to mention it in case you weren't aware is all.

I honestly don't know much on how well Ozone Generators work but I would advise you use caution using them indoors. I researched this when I was considering buying one quite awhile ago when they first came out (for hunting) so my info is rusty and possibly outdated, but the EPA lists O3 as a pollutant and cautions against using them in an indoor setting. If memory serves the info I was reading was on they type of O3 generators used in houses as air purifiers and I would imagine the ones we buy for hunting are smaller than the ones used in homes. I do recall reading conflicting information on acceptable levels between what the EPA allowed and the NIH did, I think they were between 50 and 100 PPB.

I do know quite a few guys that use them in blinds or on stand and they haven't had any issues, I just wanted to mention it in case you weren't aware is all.

Those units that are made to go into stands produce like 3MG’s of ozone.

Well they don’t actually tell how much they generate. But I’ve dissected an ozonics machine and the generator isn’t much.

Your are correct you don’t want to be in a room with a 5000mg unit running.

The nice thing is O3 has a short half life. We run ours on a timer from about 10:00pm to midnight. By morning it’s safe to enter the room.

We also run a floor fan 24/7 in the room.

What kind of boots are people running inside closets/bins with these machines? I have seen LaCrosse Aeroheads get broken down after a season of uses.

What kind of boots are people running inside closets/bins with these machines? I have seen LaCrosse Aeroheads get broken down after a season of uses.
I've been treating a pair of Muck for at least 5 or 6 years. The rubber bottoms have not degraded. They do have a few patched holes but the overall integrity of the rubber is good.
I will reiterate my earlier point...
If you don't STORE rubber and elastic in an ozone environment (in a sealed tub that you ran O3 into) the longevity of the rubber doesn't seem to suffer. But even if it did reduce the life of my boots by a couple years, I would still use O3. The minimal intensity of my ground odor busts has been quite impressive.
If I have to buy a new pair of boots every 3 or 4 years I will do it. It's the cost of doing business. It's so satisfying to watch deer cross my access trails and show no alarm. I didn't get away with that 15 years ago.

I pretty well have to buy a new pair every other year no matter the brand. I think climbing trees is hard on them. As the only thing I do is wear them deer hunting no hanging stands scouting etc. Mucks last the longest however my feet sweat to much to wear them in all but late season. I don’t do a lot of brush walking though almost all of my access is through open fields or manicured trails to reduce odor and sound on entry and exit. Mucks will not let if walking through the brush

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do use an ozone machine every day during season. My hunting clothes and gear are kept in a plastic tote in the garage. Each morning when I go to the truck I throw the ozone machine in the tote and turn in on for 5 minutes or so while I get things around. I wear my regular clothes in the truck and change when I get to the hunting ground. It's a little cold stripping in the dark cold morning, LoL. I also spray everything down with scent killer and step in cow manure before walking in. Seems to work well for me, but nothings perfect. When done hunting and back at the garage I throw the ozone machine in with the clothes again and set the timer for 20 minutes. I haven't noticed any ozone degradation but I wouldn't let it run long near expensive items.