Tbud?

CrazyEd

5 year old buck +
Anybody tbudding yet? Bark slipping? Seems about that time, I might do some this weekend.

I'm giving mine extra water maybe next week. Might say screw it and just graft next spring. I've only got like 10 trees that didn't take.
I don't think I'm going to get extra rootstock next spring. I've got 100 trees to plant the next 2 years and that's gonna keep me busy.

I hope to try some for practice. Should have my GRIN order in a couple weeks.

Anyone have the GRIN link handy that allows easy sorting? I remember seeing it and can't seem to find it.

I got out today and did some tbudding on a few b118 trees that failed to take when I whip & tongue grafted them this spring. Bark was slipping nice. I took a few closeup high resolution pictures i will try and post in the next few days.

2 x scarlett ohara
2 x scarlett surprise
2 x sherry
2 x winter wildlife
2 x centurion crab

I was up at my place the last 2 days, and I wasn't happy with how the bark was slipping, so I only did a few. It has been really dry for 2 or 3 weeks until last night when those big storms rolled through. Oh well, gives me an excuse to be there during top-working time!

I was up at my place the last 2 days, and I wasn't happy with how the bark was slipping, so I only did a few. It has been really dry for 2 or 3 weeks until last night when those big storms rolled through. Oh well, gives me an excuse to be there during top-working time!

The trees I was grafting are at home in my Nursery and I water them every few days or more, if it's above 80 degrees I water. Probably why bark was slipping so well.

The trees I was grafting are at home in my Nursery and I water them every few days or more, if it's above 80 degrees I water. Probably why bark was slipping so well.

That makes sense. I probably could have hacked my way through it and had reasonable success, but it is almost effortless when the bark is slipping well. I was, however, pleasantly surpised at how large the buds seemed on my budwood. Before I went up, I figured that would be the limiting factor. I was surprised how fast it dried out up there.

I know I was supposed to get T-bud wood from GRIN this summer as my order was post the time for scion wood. Anyone get theirs yet? I'm deff gonna order some wood much earlier this year for 2016. Anyone know when that time should be this fall/winter?

I have not gotten my budwood yet. From their catalog:
  • Orders for dormant scions (limit 25) must be received by January 10 in order to ship by March 20.
  • Orders for summer bud wood (limit 25) must be received by July 15 in order to ship by August 20.
  • Open-pollinated seed which are a blend of all genes from many sites in Kazakhstan. Deadline for ordering is January 10th.

I T-budded 22 trees tonight and will do more in the morning. The rootstock were watered 3 days straight and the bark slipped good. I may add second bud until I am out of budwood to see if I improve my odds. I think some of my budwood was a little young. I probably should have let some go for scionwood next spring. It was very easy to do.

I will T bud here in the Upper Peninsula some time in the next two weeks. Thanks for the reminders to water ahead of time. I will be checking buds soon to see how they look. Such an easy, enjoyable process.

I just got UPS Overnight notice from GRIN, my TBUD wood will be here tomorrow, WOW!

So if I have grafts that didn't take and they have 1 good limb from the rootstock I let grow. Where do I make these TBUD cuts, more on the rootstock main truck and not on the limbs growing that could be grafted to next year?

I did mine on the main stem below the failed graft.

I T-budded 22 trees tonight and will do more in the morning. The rootstock were watered 3 days straight and the bark slipped good. I may add second bud until I am out of budwood to see if I improve my odds. I think some of my budwood was a little young. I probably should have let some go for scionwood next spring. It was very easy to do.

Bark slipped great tonight. I TBudded 12 trees in less than an hour. For people that add a second bud, do you do the same variety or try a different one. I haven't put two buds on before.

I did 2 buds of the same variety on opposite sides of the tree. Doing the same variety kept my record keeping simpler but you could do 2 different varieties. However, if both buds take, you will want to choose one as the winner and remove the 2nd bud. Some nurseries sell multi-variety trees but those are grafted higher up to produce a tree with branch of this, a branch of that, etc.

I did 2 buds of the same variety on opposite sides of the tree. Doing the same variety kept my record keeping simpler but you could do 2 different varieties. However, if both buds take, you will want to choose one as the winner and remove the 2nd bud. Some nurseries sell multi-variety trees but those are grafted higher up to produce a tree with branch of this, a branch of that, etc.
Is there a risk to the root stock if you do two (from more openings in the bark)? I've never done it, but it's coming next year for me if my crabs are large enough.

I should add my double buds were on opposite sides and 2-3" apart vertically. And these were the first bud grafts i ever did. I hadn't read not to do 2 buds so i improvised.

I also do double buds. I space them out vertically as well. I don't really see any risk unless you end up cutting around the whole tree girdling it. But that really should not happen. If both buds take, select the most vigorous and remove the other. More buds = better chance of success.