Take That You Pesky Raccoons

You should put a camera on that feeder so you can see which racoon tore that cage off the first night.

And why would you think that MoBuckChaser? And why is there always some dude out there with a negative view? You have crabgrass, you know.

I do have a camera on the feeder. We shall see.

...And why is there always some dude out there with a negative view?...

Cause a lot of people have a very negative view of the subject.

And why would you think that MoBuckChaser? And why is there always some dude out there with a negative view? You have crabgrass, you know.

I do have a camera on the feeder. We shall see.

Negative? Hardly, I just tell the truth.

Your cage will be tore off as soon as the first 40lb fat ass racoon hangs from it and fiddles with your latches!

Well, if I ever see a 40 lb. raccoon in the wild I'll put a saddle on that sucker and ride him home. A big coon around my neck of the woods might go as high as 15 lbs. Most are in the 8-10 pound range.

You may tell the truth (as you see it). But it ain't necessarily so. :)
From the National Trappers Association website:
"Raccoon weights vary from region to region. Generally, raccoons attain larger weights in northern states and lighter weights in southern states. Most adult male raccoons in northern states weigh 15-18 pounds during fall harvest seasons, with females averaging 2-3 pounds less. In some southern harvest areas, mature males weigh 9-10 pounds with females from the same areas weighing 8-9 pounds. Occasional specimens in northern states may weigh 30 pounds."

From the Live Science website:
"Raccoons are about as big as small dogs. They grow to about 23 to 37 inches (60 to 95 centimeters) and weigh 4 to 23 lbs. (1.8 to 10.4 kilograms)."

From the PBS Nature Series: Raccoon Nation - Raccoon Fact Sheet:
"Size and Weight: The adult raccoon is a medium-sized mammal and the largest of the Procyonidae family. It averages 24 to 38 inches in length and can weigh between 14 to 23 lbs., or more, depending upon habitat and available food. The male raccoon, or boar, is slightly larger than the female, also referred to as sow."

From WIKIBOOKS - Field Guide/Mammals/Northern Raccoon:
"Family: Raccoons
Size: The average length of the Northern Raccoon is 24.96-37.4 in (634-950mm). The average length tail of the tail is 7.8- 15.9 in (200-405mm). It has an average weight is 14.9 lbs. (6.76kg)
Description: The Northern Raccoon has a brown-black facial mask and areas of white hair. Its color varies from an iron grey to black/brownish tints. This species has five toes on each foot with short, compacted claws. Their hands are made to grasp objects and help support their legs and the weight of their body.
Range: The Northern Raccoon is typically found in North America, starting from southern Canada to the southern parts of Mexico. This species can be most commonly found in urban metropolitan areas. In Minnesota specifically, the Northern Raccoon is greatly populated in all parts of the state."

Bahahahahahahahaha!

Ask this guy why his varmint cage is laying in the brush and he went with something else!

You have no Idea brother!

I see racoons in the suburbs of Chicago that are huge! Not sure how much of that is fur though. I hope your varmint cage works though. Looks like you spent some time making it.

"Ask this guy why his varmint cage is laying in the brush and he went with something else!"

Who knows? Perhaps it was poorly designed or poorly attached. If you read the comments to that video you see that he later states his new design only worked for a short period.

For a tripod feeder setup such as the one he has, a simple three foot length of 3" PVC around each leg does the job. The PVC is attached with a one foot length of light chain running from the top of the PVC to higher up on the leg, with the bottom of the PVC about a foot above the ground. It swivels freely when a coon tries to climb it and they are unable to hang on. We have numerous feeders set up like that on our hunting lease. It works without fail.

Last edited:
I see racoons in the suburbs of Chicago that are huge! Not sure how much of that is fur though. I hope your varmint cage works though. Looks like you spent some time making it.

Yep, and when they have a unlimited feed supply like corn, they can get huge out in the wild as well!

I know, i have hunted them. There is a reason we skin them out in the field. No fun Dragging back a 40lb coon. Or a 8-10lb coon for that matter!

"Ask this guy why his varmint cage is laying in the brush and he went with something else!"

Who knows? Perhaps it was poorly designed or poorly attached. If you read the comments to that video you see that he later states his new design only worked for a short period.

For a tripod feeder setup such as the one he has, a simple three foot length of 3" PVC around each leg does the job. The PVC is attached with a one foot length of light chain running from the top of the PVC to higher up on the leg, with the bottom of the PVC about a foot above the ground. It swivels freely when a coon tries to climb it and they are unable to hang on. We have numerous feeders set up like that on our hunting lease. It works without fail.

Of course his crap in the video was poorly designed. Legs shields, cages, it don't matter They are all a poor design! They are coons, they can tear open a fricken crow bar if the want! Bahahahahaha!

If you don't want the coons eating your corn, just put out a dish of fly bait mixed with a can of coke. Best coon repellent on the planet!

Good luck, glad to see you have a whole roll of the wire, you will need it when the family of coons hang from it and tear it off of there! LOL!

ditto this^^^^^^^^

I have 3 tripod feeders and the little bastards are gone

bill

15 pounds??? Wow....those are tiny compared to the coon up here. We would regularly trap 25-30 pound boars up in MN.

I don't know how regular "regularly" is, but the Minnesota DNA says they average between 15 and 23 pounds or more at maturity. I expect a 30 lb. one is more like "occasionally".

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/mammals/raccoon.html

Maybe 15 lbs up in northern forest areas, but definitely closer to 25 in the ag/hardwood mixed areas. 30 lbs is definitely more than "Occasional" around here. Not trying to argue.......take it for what it's worth. The MN DNR also says we have a million whitetails in this state too. haha

Yeah. DNR's do seem to know a lot of things that aren't so.

Good luck with the coon. They are crafty, persistent little buggers.

One of the guys in my hunting club claims the coons on our lease are smarter than his boss and two-thirds of his coworkers.

just go to your local carpet shop and pick up some carpet tack strips. Tap them in up and down that pole. I personally would not have built the ladder permanent but each man cuts his own deal. No coon will climb a wooden pole with carpet strips up them. It's an easy fix.

Secondly, why would you put a corn feeder in the middle of field and put a pole in the ground when there are all kinds of trees in the background? just curious???

"Secondly, why would you put a corn feeder in the middle of field and put a pole in the ground when there are all kinds of trees in the background? just curious???"

Because that's where I wanted it. :)