T-buds in August?

THunter

5 year old buck +
Question about this technique. If you do t-buds in August will they grow this year or just sit until Spring?

Question about this technique. If you do t-buds in August will they grow this year or just sit until Spring?

lots of variables. up here in Wisconsin I did a tbud mid August and it grew 12" before going dormant. I did some in September they waited until spring. the one that started last year is still the tallest by a good amount.

your growing season is longer than ours.

From what I have read it takes roughly 21 days for the bud to callus, at that point you can force the bud to grow by cutting the root stock back to just above that grafted bud. I have T-budded a couple groups so far this summer. I havent tried to force any to grow yet, I have examined some buds that I grafted and some deinitely did not take. I am a little stumped as to why. I had hoped to force some to grow to get a jump on next year.

Ed did you take the wood off the bud? I have not been doing that, I read on multiple sites that it is not necessary. However maybe it is the better route to go?

Yes, i definitely took the wood off the tbuds that I did. And in doing so my tbuds I think I had 9 out of 10 success.

I did my t-budding this weekend and almost accidentally discovered the need to remove the wood from the back of the bud. I hadn't seen that concept really discussed or stressed in any of the videos I had seen on t-budding. Done correctly, I think the back of the bud will look exactly like it does at the 1.44 minute mark of this video:

IMG_8815 2.jpg

My first attempts. I grafted new wood to new wood in 4 cases and t-bud to two year old wood in one case. Good or bad? How tight is too tight with the tape?IMG_8814 2.jpg

This is BY FAR the most DIFFICULT plant propagation technique I have ever attempted. First, the bark on the seedling apples and crabapples I have will not slip--you have to try to peel it back which just tears it. Second, there is no where around here where parent trees put off nearly enough "this year" growth to find suitable buds to graft. The video makes it look WAY too easy. I'll stick to whip and tongues.

I had no problem getting my buds grafted, but it seems most of them did not take. I am unsure why? Maybe I did them too soon.

I think it is easier than grafting. I bought a $6 grafting knife off eBay, and The back side of the knife has a blunt edge. I started by working the bottom of the t cut, up. I just slipped a little at a time. After the second pass from down-up, it really opened up. Basically the less I tried to slip the less the bark tore.
I used last years buds. This years buds don't get hard enough to graft.
Getting the wood out was the hardest part. I didn't get all of it out right behind the bud, I'm not sure you could. I would think the most important wood to get out is around the bud, that's where the cambium needs to make contact?
I use a sharp utility knife for all my cutting. That's been the easiest way to cut and remove wood for me.

This is BY FAR the most DIFFICULT plant propagation technique I have ever attempted. First, the bark on the seedling apples and crabapples I have will not slip--you have to try to peel it back which just tears it. Second, there is no where around here where parent trees put off nearly enough "this year" growth to find suitable buds to graft. The video makes it look WAY too easy. I'll stick to whip and tongues.

TH, I had the exact opposite feeling about t-budding. Time will tell if mine 'took', but I walked away from the process thinking 'oh yeah, this is easy' whereas for regular 'spring grafting' I felt very uneasy and had only 20% success rate (though it was my first time). Maybe SMSmith is right about the watering thing, but I'd say don't give up!

As I peeled the bark back, it did split a bit, but was intact on the bottom edge. Maybe a kitchen knife would work to peel the bark?

Trying to find this year's buds sucked too.

Trying to find a bud stick of this year's growth (as mentioned in the video). The buds are not developed on this year's growth on any of the trees I've looked at.

Ok I've seen a couple videos and tutorials where they take a bud growing on last years wood. The wood is removed and the bud and tender bark is wrapped up. That's the first I saw such a young bud.
There must be a couple different ways of doing it, or I'm just lost in space.

There is chip budding and there is T-budding. Everything I have ever read or seen has you take a dormant leaf bud and implant it under the bark for T-budding. Chip budding you cut a dormant bud out of a dormant scion and then remove a chip of the same size out of the rootstock and replace it with the dormant bud.

There is chip budding and there is T-budding. Everything I have ever read or seen has you take a dormant leaf bud and implant it under the bark for T-budding. Chip budding you cut a dormant bud out of a dormant scion and then remove a chip of the same size out of the rootstock and replace it with the dormant bud.
This makes sense, chip budding is new to me.

Are these t buds supposed to do anything. I just got a bud sitting there. It isn't drying up, which has to be a good sign.
I'm imagining you guys are doing the chip bud instead of the t bud because you get growth right away?

I did some t-buds last august, one grew 12". I did some just after labor day and they didn't grow at all until this year. Just be patient.

I think my T-bud failures came from the fact that I either tried to do it too early (late July) or that I used bud wood that was too young. All my T- buds this year shriveled up and died on my apple rootstocks. This process has me bewildered at this point. Ed where are you harvesting your buds for your successful T-buds?

I got the bud wood from trees in my yard last year. This year I grabbed some from a local park as well. Pretty much harvest the wood and immediately graft. I did some tbuds in mid august this year. I might try and do a few more in the next day or two if time permits.

I think my T-bud failures came from the fact that I either tried to do it too early (late July) or that I used bud wood that was too young. All my T- buds this year shriveled up and died on my apple rootstocks. This process has me bewildered at this point. Ed where are you harvesting your buds for your successful T-buds?