Switchgrass

Hunter86

Buck Fawn
I’m making some solid stands of switchgrass screening sound my field with clover between them. I’m making my stands 15’ wide, is this wide enough? I have feathered edge, 8’ shooting lane, 15’ wide switchgrass, 10’ wide clover, overgrown field beyond that with shrubs I’m planting.
Targeting rabbits and screening food so bucks have to cruise through looking for does.

not really sure how wide it needs to be to make an impact. Thanks.

The switchgrass cultivar will affect how tall it gets, which will have an effect on how wide the screen needs to be. With Cave-n-Rock, I found you need to be at least 20 to 25 ft. It's the only one that I've planted as a true screen so I can't speak to the other cultivars I've grown.

If targeting rabbits, I would want my strips of switch a little wider where your rabbits can get a little farther off the cleaned strips. Your predators will walk those strips

Do any of you guys have a switchgrass seed source that offers a variety pack? Looking for a very small amount of seed but a lot of varieties.

It is cave in rock from north woods whitetails. They say it gets 7 to 8 feet tall.

Do any of you guys have a switchgrass seed source that offers a variety pack? Looking for a very small amount of seed but a lot of varieties.

I think Welters seed will mix to order.

It is cave in rock from north woods whitetails. They say it gets 7 to 8 feet tall.
Mine is probably around that 5-6 feet for the actual grass blades (enough for deer). The seedheads can get to 7 or 8 feet though.

If targeting rabbits, I would want my strips of switch a little wider where your rabbits can get a little farther off the cleaned strips. Your predators will walk those strips

+1. Narrow strips make it very easy for predators. You want min 20 yards wide if possible.

You see that guy's tunnel/trench getting into his blind? That's pretty hardcore.
I used to laugh at that stuff. Yet I know I push the deer out of field when I get in blind at 530 and have to let them come back in. I need to do more of that