All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Switch Planting

younggun1849

5 year old buck +
I'm going to be planting around 4 acres of switch this spring. Some areas will need to be worked up, sprayed, and planted in April or May as I was not able to prep some areas last fall for frost seeding. Other areas I will be planting were planted in corn/soybeans last year. Can I frost seed right into the corn and beans? Will I need to come back to kill weeds after green up occurs?

yes and yes.

Is switch planting really that easy? Spray, till-up, frost seed & come back in spring and clean-up the weeds? I can't get grass to grow in my yard and spend a lot more time trying to get that going than it seems it will take to get switch going.

Is switch planting really that easy? Spray, till-up, frost seed & come back in spring and clean-up the weeds? I can't get grass to grow in my yard and spend a lot more time trying to get that going than it seems it will take to get switch going.
I guess yes if you put it in those terms , I sprayed mine 2-3 times the summer/fall before I frost seeded it and once in the spring the first year, no tilling. This will be the third year so I'm hoping it comes on good and thick this year.