Sweet cherry tree where to begin?

Derek Reese 29

5 year old buck +
Looking to get a dwarf or semi dwarf sweet cherry tree for my wife’s flower bed. Any suggestions for where I could get one or should I just scope out the end of growing season deals at the local Lowes?
Also should I treat it like I do my deer trees with caging, weed mats, stones, etc…

I have tried cherry trees twice. First one died right off the bat. The second one gets completely defoliated by japanese beetles every year. As a dwarf, it puts on about a foot of growth every year. So yeah, it’s 7-8’ tall with no cherries 7 years later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have tried cherry trees twice. First one died right off the bat. The second one gets completely defoliated by japanese beetles every year. As a dwarf, it puts on about a foot of growth every year. So yeah, it’s 7-8’ tall with no cherries 7 years later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yikes! Not really what I was hoping to hear but these would be steps from my front door so spraying would be pretty easy.

Sweet cherry are susceptible to a fair amount of disease. Birds will go after the cherries, so be ready to protect the tree with netting or you won't have many cherries.

I think the cherry bushes are easier to keep alive and healthy but haven’t planted any yet myself

Hmm guess it doesn’t necessarily have to be a sweet cherry?!? Wife really likes cherries and I want something that will look nice too

Tart/pie cherries are easy to grow. Mine came from Stark Bros.

My buddy has Carmine Jewel and loves it I’ve been very tempted to order it and the Wowza to try out just haven’t done it yet.

I had a sweet and a tart cherry from stark. I got about 2 good years if production out of them before black knot wiped them out.