Surprise in the hawthorns

Bowsnbucks

5 year old buck +
While at camp yesterday, I was loading split firewood into my F-150 at a woodpile at the far end of our fields. The pile is right next to a group of Washington hawthorns I planted about 22 years ago. I wasn't being quiet and I slammed the tailgate closed. I covered the top of the remaining wood pile with a plastic tarp & tossed some rocks on top to hold it in place. As I turned around, I noticed movement behind my truck. A big, plump grouse was walking slowly across the trail I drove in on. It walked under a hemlock and right into the hawthorn grove. It was only about 15 ft. from me and showed no sign of fear.

I decided to lean on the tailgate and see how this played out. I made quiet bird-whistles at it as it fed on fallen hawthorn fruit. The grouse showed no signs of giving up on it's easy pickings despite the big ugly thing watching it. After 20 minutes of watching this bird stuff itself, I tired of standing there and got into my truck. I started the engine, pulled away slowly, expecting to see it rocket away in panic. No dice !! It sat there under a hawthorn and watched me drive away, never stopping it's feasting on the red fruit. Proof enough of the lure of hawthorn fruit for grouse.

This is only one of many grouse sightings in this hawthorn grove, but by far the closest (15 ft. ) and longest lasting.

Grouse can act strange at times. Most rocket away without hardly being seen. But I've ran into a few that boldly walk away from a few feet away while displaying their ruff and tail. Some have approached my truck while traveling slowly down two track trails and seem to "challenge" the vehicle. Never understood why these few birds acted so tame.

I know some regions have grouse that don't show fear toward people. Here, they usually rocket away at first sight. That's why this episode was so strange. I've never had a grouse so close for so long, and it made no move as I was plainly visible - then got in the truck and drove away. It would've made a good video.

Rubee - where is NELP ??

Michigan- north east lower peninsula.

They usually flush a hundred yards away just from me closing the truck door quietly!

Our grouse in Ontario are so fearless the come into the garage occasionally.

What is a grouse?
If I search waaaaay back in my memory banks, I seem to remember something call a grouse. I thought the went the way of the Dodo bird.

^^^^^^ :emoji_thinking: I know grouse populations go in cycles. Some periods, they seem to be everywhere - then they're scarce. Hopefully your area will see a rebound, Tap.