Surfactant

Early Bird

5 year old buck +
How important is it that I use a surfactant when applying Gly? If it is needed can you make a recommendation of a product to use?

Thanks,

Ray

Surfactant is important!

Helps the Gly defeat the plants waxy leaf coating for better uptake. The Gly you used may have included surfactant. If not you can add Crop Oil found at Farm Stores, Coops or online. A few drops of Dawn dish soap works in a pinch. In all honesty you can achieve a good kill on young plants with straight Gly. The surfactant comes into play with variables in weather, water or tougher plants.

Google AMS (Ammonium Sulfate) for Glyphosate next. That is another additive for less than ideal water conditions and more!

I prefer to spray less and kill more.

-Sconnie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Excellent! Thanks!!

crop oil generally not recommended for glyphosate unless mixing with another product that recommends crop oil on label. non-ionic surfactant generally used with gly(many gly formulations already contain NIS). Not a farmer - just read labels

How important is it that I use a surfactant when applying Gly? If it is needed can you make a recommendation of a product to use?

Thanks,

Ray

What color is your gly. Unless it is clear, it likely already contains the surfactant. Most generic formulations as well as Roundup now contain a surfactant.

...A little more on AMS. Minerals in water can bind with gly making it less effective. AMS is added to your water first and agitate it. It binds with those mineral and ties them up so that when you add gly they can not bind with it. If you have hard water or are using water from a source that is not clean, AMS has more impact.

The most important thing with any herbicide is calibrating your sprayer so you are applying the correct amount of chemical according to the label.

Thanks,

Jack

crop oil generally not recommended for glyphosate unless mixing with another product that recommends crop oil on label. non-ionic surfactant generally used with gly(many gly formulations already contain NIS). Not a farmer - just read labels

My bad... If you have straight “clear” glyphosate (you probably don’t) you add Non-Iconic Surfactant.

Crop oil is for pesticides!

Sorry for the misinformation.

Thank you all! It does have surfactant added. I stopped reading the label after 41% Gly. I will be using good clean city water for the application.

Ray

Thank you all! It does have surfactant added. I stopped reading the label after 41% Gly. I will be using good clean city water for the application.

Ray

Keep in mind that clean water can still be hard (high mineral content).

Thanks,

Jack

Reactions: don
As mentioned earlier, I just add a few drops of dish soap in with my gly mixture. Works well

I ended up not adding anything to the mix. I had about a 85% kill on the weeds. Really there was just one area I am sure I missed when spraying. I am going to hit that area when I plant over labor day.

Ray

My bad... If you have straight “clear” glyphosate (you probably don’t) you add Non-Iconic Surfactant.

Crop oil is for pesticides!

Sorry for the misinformation.

Crop oil is for pesticides?

Crop oil or crop oil concentrates are petroleum-based additives that are used as adjuvants to increase the efficacy of pesticides in agricultural applications.

Somebody better tell this manufacturer that crop oil is only for pesticides....
20190820_080754.jpg

Last edited:
herbicides ARE pesticides

A pesticide is any substance used to kill, repel, or control certain forms of plant or animal life that are considered to be pests. Pesticides include herbicides for destroying weeds and other unwanted vegetation, insecticides for controlling a wide variety of insects, fungicides used to prevent the growth of molds and mildew, disinfectants for preventing the spread of bacteria, and compounds used to control mice and rats.

Terminology misunderstanding. I think most plotters will say that herbicides are for plants, pesticides are for insects, fungicides are for fungi, and poison is for animals. Doesn't make it technically right, but it's common.

Terminology misunderstanding. I think most plotters will say that herbicides are for plants, pesticides are for insects, fungicides are for fungi, and poison is for animals. Doesn't make it technically right, but it's common.

Insecticides are for insects....

I use crop oil with cleth all the time!

I use crop oil with cleth all the time!
As do I J-bird, that's what prompted my response to Sconnie. Now I'm scratching my head about pesticides and herbicides!

Most often crop oil is called for when using pesticides. It also has other uses; just be sure to check the label!

“Crop Oil Concentrate is a blend of a surfactant and a non-phytotoxic superior type of agricultural spray oil designed for use with a broad range of post-emergence herbicides as well as desiccants, defoliants, and other pesticide uses. ... Crop Oil Concentrate may increase the effectiveness of the spray mixture.”

Sorry for the common term usage!

In my mind pesticides and herbicides are different families....

I have mixed crop oil with Gly, no harm done.

Now I realize most OTC Gly products already contain surfactant.

Food plotters and farmers don’t mix well...

Live n learn, your income doesn’t rely on what you grow. Have fun with it, I sure do!