Sunn Hemp

nwmn

5 year old buck +
So I decided to buy a bag of this stuff to play around with. I was going to use it as a spring planting prior to fall brassicas, but weather didn't allow that. I had an area planned where I am going to do some direct nut seeding with acorns and plant my babied and prized oaks that are taking over my backyard. FIgured I could add a little bit of N to the soil for my tree planting areas. Who knows what benefits i'll reap, but I ran out of room to plant the hemp :). What I did here was took old crp ground and just broadcasted right into it, rolled over with the packer and sprayed some gly immediately after. Did this last thursday and checked up on it tonight. Burn down is taking effect as expected and got down to investigate and noticed, to my surprise and satisfaction....
20140711_214206 (800x450).jpg

I figure it's got two full months to grow before I terminate and till it into the soil. Excited to see what this looks like. Anybody else try this stuff?

On a side note on the fall tree planting. Would it be a good idea to broadcast some radish to develop root channels for the oaks so they develop faster, or would I be best off broadcasting winter rye/clover the same time I broadcast the acorns to develop a rye mulch and a living mulch?

I put down 25 lbs as an experiment in a low organic matter area of about an acre, the plants are spaced a bit more than I would like to see, but are getting taller. Last time I checked em they wer between 12 and 18 inches. They should start to fill out a bit soon, I may just leave them go till spring to till in and go back to brasica in that plot. Big curiosity level on the deer and if they feed on it or not.

On a side note on the fall tree planting. Would it be a good idea to broadcast some radish to develop root channels for the oaks so they develop faster, or would I be best off broadcasting winter rye/clover the same time I broadcast the acorns to develop a rye mulch and a living mulch?
I don't see anything wrong with doing both, get those radishes in now to give you a couple months of root growth, and then do as you said when you plant the acorns, so you could get the benefit of both.