Summer Lull

Before long it will be like feeder wars in states that allow bait. Neighbor vs neighbor with only the industry benefitting!
I get that. I should have bought land 20 years ago and now I would have enough plot acreage, mast trees and such to do the job. BTW, biggest neighbor I want to draw deer from is 600 acres of state park with no hunting. Since it's a lease, not wanting to spend thousands on heavy equipment to have enough acreage of crops, and/or buy trees to plant since elderly owner passes and we may loose lease. So I buy corn from neighbors, apples from local orchards. Dr Deer thing was more about providing best nutrition year round and not planting the candy crops the industry pushes.

Before long it will be like feeder wars in states that allow bait. Neighbor vs neighbor with only the industry benefitting!
I have four spin type feeders running continuously for the last five months - each with a cell cam - for hog hunting. I have killed all the hogs - for now. Some does and little ones use the feeders - hardly any bucks. The pic below includes two of a group of five bucks that feed on clover in this food plot every other day. You can see a feeder in the far background. There is a resident spike that will feed at the feeder. The group of five have never been to the feeder. That is typical for my deer. If you pour feed out on the ground, they will be there the first night.

15126030-FECE-4F03-A922-0B8639E8982F.jpeg

Kind of like the fall food plot wars. If food plots weren't allowed, there'd be a whole lot more "crops" and "gardens" going in and less bucks on bags. People realize that deer are drawn to food, and in most circumstances, the most desired food is what people want on their property in the fall.

Saw a stud on some alfalfa last night. He was out a good hour before dark.

I would say he was in the upper 150 low 160 range right now with a good 3-4 weeks to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kind of like the fall food plot wars. If food plots weren't allowed, there'd be a whole lot more "crops" and "gardens" going in and less bucks on bags. People realize that deer are drawn to food, and in most circumstances, the most desired food is what people want on their property in the fall.
What most folks don't under stand is that the algorithm in a deer's brain balances food, security, and sex. During certain phases of the rut, sex dominates to the point where deer take big risks. When deer densities are great enough that they border on the BCC, deer will become quite brave for quality food. However, in a well balanced habitat, I'll take much less attractive food in a secure environment than the most attractive food you can buy in a high pressure environment!

Security dominates during most of hunting season in average or better habitat!

Thanks,

Jack

Screenshot_20220723-134930_SPYPOINT.jpgSorry. Didn't know where else to share this all time best picture from my field.

View attachment 44727Sorry. Didn't know where else to share this all time best picture from my field.
It's OK. Looks like he is headed to my place. Grin.

Yep....he contented now. 😉

Attachments

• buck at golden triangle .jpeg
    buck at golden triangle .jpeg
    54 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
I have 15-20 deer ot in the field I can see from the house every night about 60 minutes before dark. There are usually 5-7 bucks in the mix.

Spent the last three days at my place. My farmer didn’t get beans in till late so all around me is 7’ corn and some mature beans. I have the ankle high ice cream cones. I had 42 deer in there last night. I think 20 bucks with 17 being 8 pts or better. The other two nights was mid 30 deer. I would see deer every hour of daylight feeding in in the beans. Wish I could say it would be like this forever but I know it’s bound to change shortly. Makes for a fun July though 8AE20D59-4D2A-40E1-87D9-5D30786F83BB.jpeg06D36C24-612B-4EB4-BC57-AAB9AAA188F1.jpeg