Suggestions on planting roads

Boll Weevil

5 year old buck +
I've got miles of interior roads that carry vehicle/tractor/ATV traffic and also serve as firebreaks. I'd like to plant something that's beneficial to wildlife but tough enough to withstand a little traffic. Any suggestions?

I've got miles of interior roads that carry vehicle/tractor/ATV traffic and also serve as firebreaks. I'd like to plant something that's beneficial to wildlife but tough enough to withstand a little traffic. Any suggestions?
Not sure how much I can help but depending where the property is will let you know what you can grow. Anything perennial, such as clover, could be considered. the problem is you would have to let it get established for a while or else it will never grow. You could try cereal rye. I plant that in my food plots and within a month I'm driving over it with my 4 wheeler and it seems to hold up. If all else fails, you could do regular rye grass....not exactly beneficial to wildlife but better than dirt.

You probably need to be looking into some type of grass to be able to take being run over very often.

The edges of your roads could sure be planted to a clover mix and chicory.

When I first started food plotting one of the seeds in the mix I planted was high sugar rye grass. Deer did eat it, and it is still growing where it was planted. It hasnt spread, and I havent been able to kill it yet either, and I have sprayed it several times. I wouldnt recommend this on a food plot, where you may want to switch up plantings down the road, but on a road, I think it would work great!