Successful Hunt For Me

davidhelmly

5 year old buck +
I guess I'm different than most in that I don't consider a hunt successful or not depending on if I kill a deer, I thought this hunt was very enjoyable and successful.

I hunted Saturday afternoon and wanted to go somewhere that I could use the decoy. I went to a plot that has been clover for the last 7-8 years but was taken over by grass during the drought this year, I did spray the waist high grass back in August and then planted thru the standing dead grass when I planted in mid Oct. Not having been there since planting I was happy to see lots of tracks in the road leading to the plot and then also some green one I got there so I knew I would see deer.

I got the decoy setup and I settled in around 3:00 and it wasn't 10 minutes until the first doe stepped into the plot and had several more join her over the next hour or so. I had been shooting some video of the does and taking a few picture when I saw movement close to the blind coming up the edge of the plot and got pretty excited when I saw it was a buck all puffed up and posturing toward the decoy, after deciding it wasn't a shooter I just kept filming him and he put on quite the show, he walked around the decoy several times making scrapes and posturing and I'm sure he couldn't figure out why Bucky wouldn't give him the time of day! There were a couple of times that I though he was going to hit the decoy but he never did, he came within 10 yards of the blind several times while he was there and all total I think I filmed him for about 20 minutes until he finally decided to chase one of the does since Bucky wouldn't play with him.

It was by far my best hunt of the year so far and the very reason I love hunting with a decoy, hopefully he will stay hidden for a couple of years any we can do it again!!

I completely agree with your definition of a successful hunt, and this certainly was one! Lol... the one area we might differ on is what qualifies as a "shooter". Loved the video of Mr. Tough-guy!

That was pretty cool to see!

What a time to be alive when that is a deer that’s gets passed on in Georgia.