Sub compact tractor question.

Camp 2 Dukes

5 year old buck +
So I have a neighbor selling a low hours diesel tractor but it’s only 16 hp. The only reason I’m considering it is to use it to clip clover plots. The question I have is it enough power to run a 60” rough cut mower?
TIA

So I have a neighbor selling a low hours diesel tractor but it’s only 16 hp. The only reason I’m considering it is to use it to clip clover plots. The question I have is it enough power to run a 60” rough cut mower?
TIA
I got my doubts. The old saw is 5 HP per foot of implement width. But that can depend on ground speed too.....and I suppose if you go slow enough it will cut some. But I think a 4 footer would work far better. It takes allot of power to mow grass.

You're going to be a little underpowered with a 5' implement and 16 HP. If all you're doing is clipping clover though, you'll be fine.

is there an OEM belly mower for this tractor, if so, that would be your best option, and I think even a 4 ft PTO drive mower will be asking a lot, never mind a 5 ft one!
look for a larger HP tractor if your set on running a 5 ft mower, unless its a tow behind one, then you will be ok with this tractor as it will tow one just fine, but its under powered to be the power source for a 60 inch mower! IMO!

TIA

I would consider a finish mower if the only thing you plan to do is to mow clover. We had an old ford for many years. It was a large frame size bit it was only 16 hp. It handled a 5' finish mower fine. Just make sure you can set the finish mower to at 8" if you plan to do any mowing when clover is stressed. A finish mower gives you a cleaner cut on clover but can't handle heavy brush. It also takes less hp to operate. The problem with the finish mowers I've seen made for a sub-compact is that they don't offer that high of cut.

Thanks,

Jack

I would consider a finish mower if the only thing you plan to do is to mow clover. We had an old ford for many years. It was a large frame size bit it was only 16 hp. It handled a 5' finish mower fine. Just make sure you can set the finish mower to at 8" if you plan to do any mowing when clover is stressed. A finish mower gives you a cleaner cut on clover but can't handle heavy brush. It also takes less hp to operate. The problem with the finish mowers I've seen made for a sub-compact is that they don't offer that high of cut.

Thanks,

Jack
they typically don't have that high a cut due to safety reasons, as finish mowers won't have any safety chains or likes to prevent things from coming out from under the deck, including blades if ever a failure
thus they tend to keep things lower , I know its splitting hairs maybe, but that most;y the reason why, that and most lawns , owners don't want things that high of a cut , so its not a height OEM's have set ups for!

they typically don't have that high a cut due to safety reasons, as finish mowers won't have any safety chains or likes to prevent things from coming out from under the deck, including blades if ever a failure
thus they tend to keep things lower , I know its splitting hairs maybe, but that most;y the reason why, that and most lawns , owners don't want things that high of a cut , so its not a height OEM's have set ups for!

Yes, my RM990 can adjust to that height but it is a big finish mower that can handle small brush pretty well. It is almost a cross between a finish mower and bushhog. I have a small 5' finish mower (BEFCO I think) and it did not adjust high enough, but I was able to drill a couple more holes in the legs to set it up to 8".

Thanks,

Jack

I have a 44" rough cut finish mower powered by a 11.5hp briggs single cylinder and has some rod knock too. Cuts my clover just fine.

You have hydrostatic, so you can run it at any speed. Not ideal, but not dangerous. I used to put a block of wood between the forward pedal and the floor to limit my speed on my l3200 when I was using certain implements.

The big line between mower decks is the shrouding. If the blades are pretty open, it'll chop once or twice and spit it out. If the blades are confined, it'll need more power.

I'd be more concerned how high can the belly mower or rear mower go up. I like to mow high then mow low so everything is well chopped up. But, with most varieties of clover 5-6" height is good. Red's like to be tall, annuals are a great idea to keep mowed, Ladino, dutch white, patriot, durana, and some of the clovers in whitetail institute are not bad to keep mowed.

Thanks for all the responses. We’ve got a 40 hp Kubota that’s been doing the mowing and works well. The one we have has a loader on it. The little one has no loader but does have weights on the front. My concern was the power and whether it would run the bigger brush mower. I say we wouldn’t cut brush with it but you know how that goes sometimes. I even thought about buying a 4 ft flail as some of those are rated down to 15hp. Some areas I mow maneuverability of a smaller tractor would be nice. No loader and narrower. But the lack of HP is my concern. It’s only got 300 hrs on it and seems like it would be easier on fuel. No belly mower. It has a finish mower on it now but the finish mower is rough and he is willing to sell the tractor separately.

I think it will mow just fine for plot maintenance. Diesel is more powerful with better "mileage". Depends on if you get a good price on it. jmo

I think it will mow just fine for plot maintenance. Diesel is more powerful with better "mileage". Depends on if you get a good price on it. jmo
It’s hard to know what a good price is. It’s a late 90s Kubota compared to new it’s a lot less but compared to when it was new it’s not much less than what the sold for new. But only 300 hours on a diesel.

Does he already have a newer or different one he's using? Does he need the money from selling this one for another tractor? Maybe can catch him on a good day and work on a little better price? I suggest a Friday because almost everyone is in a better mood on Fridays---Mondays not so much!

maybe if you get it for a great price,(below what its worth today) use it to trade in on a larger HP machine
look online at what like model tractors are selling for, and go from there on what to offer!
as just cause something is close by or low hours, doesn;t mean its worth buying, if it isn;t what you need, you can soon be reselling due to being unhappy with buying it
add, even at low hours, its got age to it, age alone can cause things to fail, seals, gaskets, tires? and so on, all go bad over time! not just use an hours! add in and NOT saying this owner didn;t
but many folks I know that use things seldom DON"T do that much preventive maintenance on things, like oil changes and so on.
oil should be changed every other yr on most things, if they sit for LONG periods of time, oil can gel up and go BAD, even with low hours on it
same goes for things like rear ends, if fluids are not changes every so often, the oil can go bad, as well as condensation can build in things over time and lead to rusting issue's

again NOT saying there as any issue's here, just giving info on things maybe one doesn;t consider,
I know its easy to get tempted when things are for sale close by and be sort of convenient, but they don't always work out that great at times !~
there is something to be said for buying the right tool for there task the FIRST time too! over trying to MAKE something fit or work!

It may mow clover but it will not mow much else.