What’s the best plan of attack

I think burning would help a lot. Perhaps just disc a pass or two around the outside for a fire break and throw a match on a calm day?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you will be fine broadcasting wheat into dead vegetation. I do it all the time with millet and it works out great. I also just top sow wheat on bare ground and it usually does fine. Some timely rain and you will look like a hero

Once the grasses are dead and dry, you could put your FEL in float mode and run the bucket very low to the ground while discing. This might just knock enough grass down to improve light transmission and the discing may further knock the grass down..
I don’t mow or crimp when fall planting. I plant/drill right into standing thick summer crops and get great germination.

I was in your exact situation last year. Old pasture that I sprayed out middle of summer. I just broadcast brassicas and then rye a few weeks later and lucked out a bit with some timely rains. The plot turned out awesome. The benefit of having an old pasture is reduced weed seed. Get some food for the fall and then plant the alfalfa next spring. That's what I'm doing with a few of my new plots this year.

Attachments

• PXL_20230804_223654150.jpg
    PXL_20230804_223654150.jpg
    504.7 KB · Views: 15
I rented a drill from the nrcs for the last weekend in August (I have a baby due 9/10 so I’m limited on times).

Given my understanding that your land is a fair drive from home, that’s a bold move sir!

Given my understanding that your land is a fair drive from home, that’s a bold move sir!
I cleared it with the boss! It’s actually only an hour and half from the hospital. Babies getting big, I’m starting to doubt we even make it to 9/10. If that’s the case I’ll probably plant late September.

I cleared it with the boss! It’s actually only an hour and half from the hospital. Babies getting big, I’m starting to doubt we even make it to 9/10. If that’s the case I’ll probably plant late September.
1722862825942.jpeg

It all sounds ok even with a top notch level understanding bride. Definitely not going to feel like it was worth the chance if she goes into labor and you’re hours away! (Edit: @Howboutthemdawgs i missed the hr and a half from the hospital part, pretty dang close actually!)

Had a young supt under me wrapping up a project in CA and starting to plan the next one in NM. His lady was in KS. His plan was to work in CA until 10 days before due date and when he ran that plan past me 3 weeks before due date i told him he better get his ass to KS and work remotely. Baby came less than a week later.

Last edited:
View attachment 66987

It all sounds ok even with a top notch level understanding bride. Definitely not going to feel like it was worth the chance if she goes into labor and you’re hours away!
This is calculated…because we are “older” they are scheduling a c section a bit prior to the actual due date. She could go into labor but it’s improbable, not impossible.
We go to dr Wednesday, I’ll take the ob’s temp on when I can leave and when I can’t. But I’m not above rolling into the hospital with my suspenders and wheat seeds falling out of my pockets! My deer need to eat too this fall.

I don’t mow or crimp when fall planting. I plant/drill right into standing thick summer crops and get great germination.

I don't either, and I just broadcast into the standing grass. Only caveat would be if grass was too think completely screening soil. Then I would mow.

I don't either, and I just broadcast into the standing grass. Only caveat would be if grass was too think completely screening soil. Then I would mow.
Agree. I wonder if tires acting as a cultipacker do more than the actual mowing. Seeds in soil with rain seem to germinate with sun or not. And if grasses that are there are dead they won’t outcompete them long term.

I was in your exact situation last year. Old pasture that I sprayed out middle of summer. I just broadcast brassicas and then rye a few weeks later and lucked out a bit with some timely rains. The plot turned out awesome. The benefit of having an old pasture is reduced weed seed. Get some food for the fall and then plant the alfalfa next spring. That's what I'm doing with a few of my new plots this year.
Looks good my man!