Sturgeon Spearing

My last run in with a bago monster...seeing this makes me miss summer.
4A6AE4B3-A0EE-4A06-93E2-E5A04625890F.jpg

Holy cow straw u must be on them. That picture would almost represent half the fish speared today on the entire 140,000 acre lakeo_O

We just pulled our last shack off the ice. We cut a hole this morning for a friend that had not filled his upriver lakes tag. It is now filled. 58' 50lb sturgeon. I was on Winnebago this week without seeing a sturgeon. With this wind and warm, sunny weather we are being cautious.

"go up to Shiocton in the spring and watch them spawn. Very very cool! They have people watching them really closely and anyone that does anything stupid is pretty much arrested. It is really a neat family event in the spring."

Yes, this is something that is a sight to see. The dnr is up there stripping spawn from females and "milking" males. They record data from every fish handled, and tag nearly every fish handled. This helps them assess the stability of the sturgeon fishery. They have data of how many fish have been tagged thru the years and can plug in numbers of tagged fish that have been speared and establish fairly good data in this process.

"Holy cow straw u must be on them. That picture would almost represent half the fish speared today on the entire 140,000 acre lakeo_O"

Spearing success on the upriver lakes is a COMPLETELY game than on Lake Winnebago most years. Clarity is bad on Winnebago this year,there in success is way lower.

I never speared them but we had a blast fishing for them out in Washington State on the Columbia River. We caught a few in the 7 to 8 foot range. The guide said they were 270 to 300 pounds.DSC00010.jpg

I never speared them but we had a blast fishing for them out in Washington State on the Columbia River. We caught a few in the 7 to 8 foot range. The guide said they were 270 to 300 pounds.View attachment 8402
Holy crap!

THAT IS AN AWESOME FISH. I have seen fish at 150lbs on the ice. Never anything that big. The biologists say they have put a tag on 200lber when they handle them during the spring spawning.

THAT IS AN AWESOME FISH. I have seen fish at 150lbs on the ice. Never anything that big. The biologists say they have put a tag on 200lber when they handle them during the spring spawning.

That pic is of a White Sturgeon in the Pacific Northwest , not a Lake Sturgeon.

And it's amazing to see a fish that big jump out of the water. Most of the ones we hooked didn't jump but a few did.
Here's a YouTube video of an 1100 pound, 12 foot Sturgeon caught in the Frazer River in British Columbia. I'll be rafting up there in August. Can't wait!

Bago spearing record is 212 lbs. Saw it the day the guy was bar hopping around the lake. DNR have weighed a few bigger ones in the spring.

My last run in with a bago monster...seeing this makes me miss summer.
4A6AE4B3-A0EE-4A06-93E2-E5A04625890F.jpg

Holy cow straw u must be on them. That picture would almost represent half the fish speared today on the entire 140,000 acre lakeo_O

Must be a butter face in that pic. Nothing wrong with that, ugly girls need love too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is a picture of the spawning run at an area that is completely available for the public to view.

Working on getting the picture to post.

Gonna need to wait for some help from a son.

Last edited: