Sturgeon Spearing

strawhead

5 year old buck +
This is what has been taking up my time the last month. "Scouting" for sturgeon.Friday Jason Shack 4.png

Looks like a big fish. What is the gizmo in the water?

-John

It is really hard to judge by a little video footage or picture from above. We think it could go 70lbs.

Sorry, the gizmo is a decoy. Coffee cup.

I've went a few times on Poygan. Never threw the spear but had a blast.

The year I lived in Oshkosh, I went out with some coworkers a few times. No fish taken, but a few smaller ones under the hole, which was a cool experience in itself.

What do you guys do with them once you spear them ?? Are they an eater ??

Smoked sturgeon!!! Mmmm! I have never had it any other way?

Smoked fish is always good .......... unless this is like " snipe hunting ". Get the sturgeon greenhorn to try a bite and it tastes like an old rubber boot that stepped in moose droppings !! ( me ):eek: <-------- :p(Whip) ?

Last edited:
Our group did very well. I did not have an upriver lakes tag, so I can still spear on Lake Winnebago. This is really a rush to have one of these swim thru your spearing hole. Quite a few options for eating. Smoked, baked, deep fried, boiled. I personally like smoked and baked the best. Others deep fried. One son and grandson like boiled the best. Our group is filled up, so we had some other people we knew that hadn't gotten yet use our shacks. These are our groups fish. The biggest 66' and 100lbs. The smallest 55' and 35lbs.2016 sturgeon close up.PNG

Have you already cleaned them? I'm looking for skins for backing longbows. I'd take them if you got them left.

I see one of those sturgeon was speared further back. Do you have trouble recovering those?

My question is just based on my pike spearing experiences in Minnesota.

1/2 quart water
couple of crushed peppercorns
bay leaf
sweet onion cut up 1/2
shot of white wine
1/2 a lemon
teaspoon of salt

mix all together in a pot. Bring to a slooooow boil. Reduce to simmer. Med Low on stove.

Immerse sturgeon filet or whitefish. Remove when it begins to flake. 7-10 minutes TOPS. Serve with some drawn butter or tartar sauce. MONEY!!!! Sturgeon is excellent table fare.

Our group did very well. I did not have an upriver lakes tag, so I can still spear on Lake Winnebago. This is really a rush to have one of these swim thru your spearing hole. Quite a few options for eating. Smoked, baked, deep fried, boiled. I personally like smoked and baked the best. Others deep fried. One son and grandson like boiled the best. Our group is filled up, so we had some other people we knew that hadn't gotten yet use our shacks. These are our groups fish. The biggest 66' and 100lbs. The smallest 55' and 35lbs.View attachment 8369
Great job!

Have you already cleaned them? I'm looking for skins for backing longbows. I'd take them if you got them left.
Yes,they were all cleaned up Sat. afternoon. Sorry.

I see one of those sturgeon was speared further back. Do you have trouble recovering those?

My question is just based on my pike spearing experiences in Minnesota.

No there was no problem. All the spears have a rope attached, and most spears have detachable heads so the bigger fish can't get leverage if a handle should get stuck in the bottom. A lot of spear tines have what are called flying barbs. These barbs fold in tight to the tine on entry and open up for holding power and pulling the fish in.

Yes,they were all cleaned up Sat. afternoon. Sorry.

No there was no problem. All the spears have a rope attached, and most spears have detachable heads so the bigger fish can't get leverage if a handle should get stuck in the bottom. A lot of spear tines have what are called flying barbs. These barbs fold in tight to the tine on entry and open up for holding power and pulling the fish in.

I thought you used the detachable heads. I have never used those. I have never used the flying barbs either.

Our spears are just one piece.

What do you use for decoys? Pictures?

"What do you use for decoys? Pictures"

The list and kind of decoy is absolutely huge. A small fish, a large fish, beer cans, Indian corn, bowling ball, etc. Some don't use a decoy, thinking the sturgeon are seeing so much in the water that they shy from them.

Are these lake sturgeon?

I've never heard of spearing or catching them before this. I grew up knowing if you pulled one out of the water in the Delaware watershed you had better chances of being hit by lightning. Also if you did take them out of the water you were in deep dodo.

Pretty cool that there is still a population of some bread that is fishable.

"Are these lake sturgeon?"

Yes, these are lake sturgeon. It is a very unique opportunity and most agree that it is being watched over very well. There are harvest caps and the resource is monitored extensively.

go up to Shiocton in the spring and watch them spawn. Very very cool! They have people watching them really closely and anyone that does anything stupid is pretty much arrested. It is really a neat family event in the spring.